Garden / Lawn Drainage......Help and Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm after some advice / help. Moved into a 10 year old home back in December so just over 6 Months now. The back lawn had always been very wet, mossy and generally lack of grass.

I was hoping it was just a general over raining issue over the winter, but now I have come to a different decision.

Even in some light rain walking across the grass has a general squelch.

I've read loads of information on the forum and across the whole of the internet and I've come to the conclusion that I need to put some drainage into the whole of the area.

Over the weekend I dug a 400mm x 400mm x 400mm hole and filled with water. 24 hours later the level of the water had dropped about 1 inch, so I dug down and found that the soil under is full of clay. It is soaking away but very very slowly. (Pictures below)

This is my thoughts..........
> Use a rotavator to turn over all the soil and break it up get some air into the soil and treat with some Fish, Blood and Bone to try and get some breakdown of the clay. (I read it on some other gardening forum)

> Install french drains 450mm deep approx stoned with perforated pipe in herringbone shape. Pipe to a silt trap and then pipe away through surface water drainage. (am I allowed to do this?)

> Replace top of soil with a sand / top soil 100mm deep then lawn on top.

That’s my basic plan.......I just need help confirming if this is the right way to go.

Cheers
Ant

Sponsored Links
There are numerous threads on improving drainage in a garden if you spend some time searching. What is for definite though is that you will never be allowed to drain into the mains and if you did so and it got blocked due to sediment from you garden you would be liable for any waterboard costs to rectify it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back