Garden newbie - grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've just gained possession of my first house, and I'm excitedly planning all my projects, top of the list is sort out the garden, which isn't terrible but I'm after advice on what I need to do with it. Currently the grass that's there is in a bit of a state, lots of moss (almost entirely moss in places), areas full of rubble, and uneven. There's also a load of concrete paving I'll be getting rid of, leaving big bare patches. Question is, do I plow the garden and start the grass from a fresh? Or would I have to turf it? I'm quite happy to wait for grass to grow for 6 months or whatever it takes, anyone got any advice?

Sponsored Links
congrats on your first house.

Firstly you need to make a list of the projects you intend to do and if any of them are large enough to need materials and a work area then forget the garden until after those projects as builders need space to work and you don't want to be fussing around because of your new lawn!

It won't hurt to clear all of the rubbish and it won't hurt to dig up/out the moss and level the areas and if the garden is to proceed then consider turf cos it's instant. Both seed and turf need to be tended with lots of water but at least you can walk on the turf immediately. Good Luck.

If you post pictures of your garden from all angles/corners we will be able to help you more.

But what you need to do is design your garden on a sheet of paper and work from there, do all the hard landscaping first. This will be removing or fitting a new patio. Replacing fences, making your boarders and then re-turfing.

This is only a basic guide.

Andy

congrats on your first house.

Firstly you need to make a list of the projects you intend to do and if any of them are large enough to need materials and a work area then forget the garden until after those projects as builders need space to work and you don't want to be fussing around because of your new lawn!

I've already made a list of projects :)D), there's only one that may make a mess of the garden and that's reinforcing the attic floor, as scaffolding will most likely be required to get the steels through the wall. For any other projects I can store materials in the garage if required, there's nothing big apart from that project though.

I'll try and get some pics later today, and maybe do some sketches at some point too. It'll be a pretty basic garden, mostly grass with a block paving path running down the garden, maybe a veggie patch next to the garage.

Sponsored Links
Right, got some pics of the place, also done a basic plan of the current garden...

View media item 22181
View media item 22183
View media item 22184
View media item 22185
There's a drop just in front of the path at the front, about 9" which I want to flatten out. I've mowed the grass in these pics, it's been 12+ months since it was last done, most of the grass looks like this close up:

View media item 22186
There's alot of rubble around the shed also which would need digging out. So do you think the grass is repairable or would it be better to just start it a fresh?

I've just looked at your pictures, nice area to play with.
It's up to you what type of garden you want, contemp, country, classic or family garden. There is a site called applegate gardens which give you all the information you need.
But for now I would give the grass a good cut and design from there.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back