Garden Project - Help and Ideas Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm in the process of developing my garden into something much more functional and practical.

Basically, I have an idea of what I want but am looking for some extra suggestions as my idea seems too linear and square.

Obviously, its difficult giving an opinion as its someone else's garden but if it were your own garden, what would you do to make the space more of a usable area and also more child friendly (~15 months).

I would greatly appreciate any input regarding my idea and additional ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Oh yeah, these photo's were taken while I was replacing the fence panels. Pretend they are not there...

Sponsored Links
If that was my garden, I would go for a larger grassy area than you're proposing in your new design. Kids love to play outside and grass is much more forgiving when it comes to falling over !

My garden isn't flat either and my kids don't seem to mind a grassy slope but if you wanted your grass to be level, then you could always keep your patio/decking area where the current one is (is that a sunny spot ?) and re-turf around it, where the ground looks flatter.

You may find you've got room for a paved area outside the house too ?

Thanks for your reply.

I had considered that the proposed lawn would be too small but it works out to be about 25 square metres. The main sun spot is the side adjacent to the lawn however the back of the garden gets the sun pretty much all day.

The current decking will be going as it is dangerous but there is scope to put some new decking in the sun spot.

Appreciate your input, thanks.
Kev

I would advise ditching the decking and spending/ doing yourself the extra work of a patio. It'll look better for much longer. I only ever do decking now on sloping sites, it seems on its way out to a certain extent.

25 m sq is a bit small for grass to play on, fine for a patch of grass to break up the look but it'll be barely usable at that size and besides increasing the grass area will make the project cheaper.

Sponsored Links
This is an excellent book on the subject: Great Gardens for Kids - Clare Matthews (Hamlyn). Available on Amazon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back