Garden seating - suitable wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm plannin g on bolting some 10 x 2 onto the top of a retaining wall to make some seating for summer BBQs . . . I'd rather not use treated and planned on using untreated pine - anyone got any reccomnedations on how to make it weather resistent while retaining its grain? thought maybe yacht varnish, but worried it might peal . . .

thanks fora ny advice!

Huey

Sponsored Links
I would suggest raising it off the brickwork with some battens, otherwise it will be lying on damp and will rot soon. You might consider treated hardwood for the battens.

you could use a garden furniture stain. If the top is flat it will not last many years, and you should re-treat it each autumn.

Linseed oil lasts well, but no good for seating as it will mark your clothes.

outdoor softwood joinery always has a short and troublesome life.

yacht varnish will crack and soon look unsightly

thanks John - I think its going to look odd raised off the wall so looks like I might be better with treated after all . . . . is there anything treated available that looks better then the 'green' stuff ?

thanks!

you can treat it yourself with Cuprinol Wood preserver which resists rot and insect and is a very good preservative (solvent based) you put on several flowing coats without letting it dry, so they soak in. Do it after any cutting drilling or planing so it protects all exposed surfaces. Protect your eyes and skin.

I have heard that Wickes Own brand is the same.

It is available in Green and Clear, also in Brown which is branded as shed and fence preserver, but i had a look at the ingredents and it seems the same (the tint seems to sink to the bottom so you have to keep stirring or shaking it)

it does not give a waterproof finish, but you can get garden furniture stains for that (apply after the preservative has dried for several days). If you can find a water-based one it will be very easy to reapply in future.

Sponsored Links
Could use some decking board, the reversible stuff that's smooth on one side. a couple held together with some treated batten underneath will do the job and look 'seaty'

The cuprinol stuff is the only way IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back