Garden Shed Questions - Building my own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right section, but anyway...

I really could do with a second shed in the garden as the other one is over full.

We have a spot which is wasted and fairly hidden so would be a good spot to put it in, the problem is the size and shape and location of the area.

Basically it's a large step behind the garage. The area is about 8 foot long by 3 foot 10" wide. I wanted something about 6' x 4' but its not quite wide enough. Also with it being right behind the garage I wanted the roof to only slope one way like a lean-to rather than an apex roof.

The wife's not to keen on me building one as she imagines the bodged kind of farm lean-to's you see. This would have to be well built and professional looking. She would much prefer that I find one that fits but I've searched and can't find anything.

I've drawn up a couple of rough sketches of how I would like it and have a few questions...

The shed will be for light storage of things that would otherwise be left in the garage so it doesn't need to be 100% weatherproof. The ground is concrete with a mains drain slap bang in the middle. Would I be OK to build a shed with no floor so the inspection pit cover is inside the shed? (Obviously I take the risk of it over flowing)

As the shed is right next to the back brick wall of the garage can I use that as the back wall? ie screw the battons straight to the wall so when you go inside the shed the brick wall can be seen inside the shed? Or should the shed be built separate with an air gap between the garage and the shed?

I was going to go for overlap for cheapness.

Any thoughts or advice?

Sponsored Links
Don't like the idea of building over an inspection cover as you will need to access one day.

Also you are bound to have leak issues if you build straight onto the back of existing garage.

Not cost effective to build your own now and you should buy a ready made one. :D

post photo's and sketches of what you want..

you'd have to put up flashing where the shed roof meets the brick wall and cut it into the brickwork etc..

officialy you need build 1m from the boundery to do it without planning permission
is any one likley to notice or complain!!

the problems you are going to have is your roof sloping to the wall you will need a gutter to collect the water
any way i took the risk with my shed i fully informed the neighbors and built up to 6" one side and about 18" the other
most sheds along the row are close to one or both boundarys because the gardens are only around 12 to 15 ft wide

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

Sponsored Links
I thought that 1m form the boundary thing applied to extensions etc not sheds? or things over 2m high?

I thought that 1m form the boundary thing applied to extensions etc not sheds? or things over 2m high?

not as clear as they used to be lol :D

only mentiones hight restrictions within 2m as you say no 1m mentioned!!!
heres an extract

"Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings."

Thanks for the replies,

I've done a very quick sketch of what I meant.

The garage is a brick built garage which is part of the house but projects further back than the house. The roof is a tiled roof which overhangs by about a foot or so, and has guttering running across.

The step is approx 1 foot high and is mainly there to house the man hole cover. It's concrete and not very nice to look at.

I was hoping to put a 'floorless' shed on so that the man hole cover is still accessible from inside the shed if required. It would be more of a garden store than a shed.

View media item 25034
I was going to come past on the side and end with the wooden sides of the shed right down to ground level just to cover up the concrete

will you have a gutter on the shed fence side!!
will the shed roof reach the wall!!

There is a gutter on the garage roof but I wasn't going to bother on the shed.

As for the roof that's one of my questions can I do that? I've been looking at a neighbours shed over the fence and they have a lean-to type shed on the side which looks to have black sealant between the wall and the shed roof. As far as I know that's been there for about 20-25 years

left hand side would be the new side of the shed which I would build, hopefully the following sketches should help visualise it a little:

View media item 25093
View media item 25094
That was the sort of thing I was thinking. It would use the garage wall on one side, then be clad on the other sides with a felt covered roof

ok i understand it fully but the water off the "shed" if it goes ito a small gap will hit the wall/fence and bounce onto the new wall
your better to have a gutter afew mm off the wall with felt aiming the water back into the gutter this allows for movement and expansion

Do you mean the long side of the shed furthest away from the garage? If so there will be a border there with a few shrubs in, then about 5m of grass.

I could put a gutter on just didn't really see the need, there is a drain just to the right of where I would put the shed - although it is a drty water drain rather than a rainwater drain.

So hopefully you can see that the shed is partly to hide the lump of concrete with the inspection cover in and partly to give a handy storage area.

ahhh ok got yah assumed it was a wall or fence was the constraint not a border lol

If you don't have a gutter, water will fall to the ground and splash bach onto the shed walls. This will accellerate the rotting of the shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back