Garden shed Weird shape plot. Pic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to build a small garden shed out of bricks at the end of garden. After clearing all the over grown ivy, i have got a problem with the shape of shed.

Please can anyone advice what to do with the backwall of shed.

Follow the line of plot,then you have problem with flat roof. Do not really want to leave space at the back to make it square.

Any suggestions appreciated.

View media item 84672 View media item 84674

Sponsored Links
A decade or two back I built a shed a bit like this except all four sides were unequal lengths!

All you do is have a single pitched roof, if you build your two parallel lengths of wall first, as you know the heights of each, then you can infill the remaining two sides.

Trying to do a conventional hipped roof would be a bit more challenging.

Thanks freddy. It will be a flat roof. Can you please direct me to a pic or something if possible. I tried to look it up, but no luck.

Sponsored Links
get yourself a block off foam and make your shed as a rectangle with the slope on the roof
then trim to the shape off the plot keeping in mind the water shedding off the roof should discharge on your land which may rot the timbers quite quickly if not directed away from the structure

Thanks freddy. Much appreciated.

Bigall: I believe you mean the roof timbers. I am building it out of brick. I will keep it in mind.

I intend to build a small parapet wall on the roof as shown on freddy's pic,and will also leave a bit of overhang on all sides at eaves. This way will be able to divert the rain water easily. I hope it works out fine.

Thanks guys for the help again. Oh btw freddy me a bit old school,even though i have a diploma in computing and I am only 30😃. Nothing like the good old pencil and paper.

Sketchup is ridiculously easy, to think of it as too challenging is just a shame, you’re missing out. It took less than a minute to draw that simple shape. It’s not like many other graphics packages that have a steep learning curve.

Learning Revit when you’ve used AutoCAD for twenty odd years, now that’s challenging!

Yes the end of wall at the left of your picture. Raise it maybe by 3-4 courses and use capping. Then can obvoiusly form a gutter from lead and can hopefully avoild the water collecting.

I understand its a bit ott but i have loads of lead and some blue staff bricks left.

Even though the material cost is irrelevant I have no idea why you would do a parapet wall in this situation. And no idea why a simple length of Marley guttering would not suffice on the lower eaves.

What about sticking to a rectangular shape but move the whole thing 2 feet to the right (or 2 feet forward), leaving a path down to useful space for e.g. water butt, bike shed, etc..

What about sticking to a rectangular shape but move the whole thing 2 feet to the right (or 2 feet forward), leaving a path down to useful space for e.g. water butt, bike shed, etc..

Not possible. This side of England,we have thieves who will even steal 1inch of land given the chance. Thats the reason to stick to boundaries.

I had bad experience in past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back