Garden wall & patio queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Looking to get a wall built at the bottom of my garden and extend a patio but got a couple of questions.

Firstly, what would be the best bricks to use for the wall. It will be about 9ft wide and 6ft high. Would breeze blocks be OK, or would normal bricks be better and maybe safer? I would personally prefer normal bricks but realise it could get a bit pricey.

With regards to the patio, at the back of our house we have a big slab of concrete I guess you could call a patio but we want to extend it and use proper slabs. Would we be OK to level the concrete we already have and then pave it, and then just extend this? I know there are certain rules, so to speak, with regards to how high up you should go because of the damp proofing but didn't know how much should be left space wise.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As for your wall it's really up to you. Assuming your not building it yourself then the cost difference between bricks and blocks will not be massive by the time you take into account having to render or dash the blocks afterwards etc. But having it built in brick would probably work out a little dearer.

Regarding the patio, you must keep the finished level at least 6'' or 150mm below the dpc. Assuming your concrete is solid you can certainly pave onto it but if the area is not too big you may be better off breaking it up and relaying it all as one project as joining the new area to the old one may cause you a few headaches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back