Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The planning portal states you can build a wall of 1 metre high or 2 if it’s not next to a highway.

Does anyone know what is classed as a highway please as we have a forestry commission track running by where I want to build and wondered whether this was classed a highway or if the regs just applied to a public highway?

Sponsored Links
Have you read the relevant Act(s)/Regulations? The answer might lie in the Interpretation section(s).

If the public have access, it's a highwaay for planning purposes - even a narrow footpath or ginnel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I couldn't find the act itself or much info on Google so I contacted the council who advised as the track running by our house is private we can build up to 2 metres which is good news, but as mentioned by Tony a public footpath would be counted as a highway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back