Garden Weeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help?
I want to kill off all vegetation in my garden.
Its turned into an undergrowth and is out out of control.
I have used some crystals before that you mix with water. .
I cant remember what it is called.
I really need an industrial strength weed killer.
Im not worried about growing anything for sometime.
The garden needs serious landscaping / paving / decks the full works.
I first need to address the vegetation. Devils finger / Mares Tail is the worst.
Can anyone suggest something to use I dont mind if the grass goes with it as it will be returfed during landscaping?
Also I need to know where to buy it from?

Sponsored Links
You may as well start with Glyphosate, and spray the whole thing. Give it a couple of weeks of warm growing weather to get down to the roots and kill them. The smaller plants will die first, and you can then cut and rake away the dead stuff, compost it or have a bonfire.

Larger and stronger plants will need further treatment, but you will be able to see them among the generally clear garden.

Shrubs and ivy, you may need to cut the stems and use SBK liquid concentrate, but start with Glyphosate and see how you get on.

You want a plastic bottle/flagon of the liquid concentrate, not granules or little packs. Phone a garden centre or look in the DIY sheds. 2.5 litres is quite common, but you may find bigger.

Glyphosate is now a Commodity, the patent has expired so any chemical works can make it, so there is no need to pay a premium price for a fancy brand name.

I have not had to deal with Mares Tail but try
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=257
or
http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/mares-tail---how-to-win/76570.html

You ought to kill it all before you start digging, otherwise you will be spreading cut roots which may regrow. Seeds will grow in the disturbed soil, but you can easily kill them while they are small by respraying.

Last edited:
The mares tail is your main problem as its hard to kill. It also is about to die off for the year and so doesn't take in weedkiller well at this time.

As a diyer there is no product available to use with certain effect on mares tail. The most effective ones are professional use only. I use kurtail which I specifically for it.

As for other stuff 2 treatments with glyphosate and sbk will do.

I use kurtail too, but scrunching the weed to break the surface, followed by glyphosate works. Kurtail is not systemic but gets in okay, glyphosate is systemic but doesn't get in well. Kurtail is now renamed, and is also available under a different producer (pearl).

Do not dig or spread the green weeds. Do pick the spore heads and dispose when you see them (May/june). Don't bother to pull up the roots, that just spreads it and the root structure is deep and wide.

nozzle

Sponsored Links
Agree, mares tail is a 'mare.
Sometimes a strong glyphosate can work, but have to try and mash up the plant a bit to ensure penetration of the weed killer. Best applied late summer, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try some fast, as long as no rain on it's way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back