Gas Boiler Flue installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new neighbour has installed a new boiler ( i live in a terraced house) and his boiler flue s coming out the wall between our houses just above his kitchen window.

This is not only noisy and wakes me up morning and evening every time they take a shower etc, the fumes are expelled at such speed that they pour into my bedroom windows.

I find this unacceptable and approached him and he said he would fit a kit to take it up to roof level. Which he has not as yet done.

My question is what are the regulations on these types of fittings where it causes a nuisance to neighbours? And are the fumes dangerous?

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the situation. There are clearances that must be adhered to regarding windows and adjoining and facing properties.

Thanks will try take one discreetly in morning... Although neighbour did say its within guidelines...but if thats the case the guidelines are flawed in my opinion...he has just installed a little pipe which is now directing it towards his house but fumes still billowing into my bedroom window.

Hhmmm tried uploading photo but it doesnt appear to be working

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you can instruct me on what im doing wrong.....?

I select phot then click upload....says uploading....then returns to my photos folder and says zero photos doh....

When u say he has installed a new boiler, do u mean he has done it himself or had one installed

No he had an engineer install it! The engneer told him that the kit (extending the flue to roof height) was not needed as it was within regulations.

Im not sure what thse regulations are and have googed and not come up with any regulations....

I find the noise a nuisance let alone the plume of fumes....

You are in a bit of a grey area.

Flues should comply with the manufacturer's instructions, but not cause nuisance.

If in doubt call gas safe, but it will do you no favours for neighbourly relations. Especially if guy are being "hypersensitive".

Thanks Dan

Neighbourly relationship still fine at present but as soon as it wakes me up I'm a tad unhappy....and want to find out what my position is first before i mention it agin as he has just recently put on a tiny extension pipe towards his house. This hasnt stop the noise or fumes though so want him to fit the extension pipe to the roof level, but cant tell if this will in fact stop the noise or if it will make it worse?

regulations are irrelevant if the poc are discharging into your bedroom window. Put a CO Detector by the open window, if it goes off, phone transco and report the incident. A picture would help though, doesnt sound like it complies, it shouldnt discharge over the boundary.

The new boiler flue has been installed above my neighbours kitchen window...when in use it blasts the fumes up into my bedroom window

The neighbour says its within regulations....but the noise wakes me up and the fumes are pouring into my bedroom window.....

Is it the small black thing just to the right of the canopy and under the sat dish? Is your bedroom window the top left of the door?

And what's with the pink ribbon/bow?

Just spoke with Gas Safe and they say there is little I can do if it is 1 foot away from my window.....doh

Who sets these regulations, as this is not fair to neighbours in close vicinity!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back