Gas Cooker Bayonet Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have disturbed the bayonet fitting on my gas cooker and there is a VERY slight leak, seems to be coming up the thread where the bayonet fits on to my supply pipe.
I know that a I should really call the Corgi man, but I'm considering re-sealing it myself.
I noticed that when it was origiinally fitted, the fitter use some sort of cement to run down the thread, prior to tightening. Could someone tell me what I should use to ensure there are absolutely no leaks.
:(

Sponsored Links
TBH though you are not meant to work on gas if not competent which means in most cases qualified.
The fact you ask the question really means you should not be doing the work

Could someone tell me what I should use to ensure there are absolutely no leaks.

Yes, you should use a CORGI registered plumber, and in the meantime shut off the gas supply, if you've noticed the leak I'm guessing you can hear it, in which case that's a big leak, not a small one.

Sponsored Links
No, it's a small leak, as I emphasized.
If I put my nose to the joint, a can just about smell something.
Can anyone answer my original question please.

You asked what you should use to repair the leak - I've told you, quite correctly, that you should use a CORGI registered plumber. Are you intending to tightness test the system if you DIY or just assume that because you can't actually smell any gas, there isn't any getting out?

My neighbours called me over to a leak as kitchen fitter had put a new hob in,when i quizzed him about how he tested for leaks he said "its not from my work,i cant hear it hissing",what a knob.
IT actually had 2 leaks on just the one fitting.Cant remember the hissing test when doing CKR1.

If you dont know what you need to do the job how you gonna test it mate. Or is you and your familys life not worth £40-£60 ?

Well at least he hasn't used the 'lighter test' ;)

To be fair its one of them small things but for yours and everyone elses safety get a qualified person in to check it over. Saying that I was naughty too once and fitted one myself, however when I had the new combi fitted they checked all gas fittings and there was no leak.

lots of explosion sounds outside my house.probaly diwali celebrations but if spllif fy has used a gas lighter he should be ok as very heavy snow shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back