Gas Cooker Connection - Can It Be Done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new dual fuel cooker coming next week and I paid the extra £80 to have it connected by a gas safe installer when it is delivered. (littlewood's catalog)

The gas pipe hardly sticks out of the wall and has one of those 1/2 flange plugs on it.

All the installer says is they will only connect to an "existing, approved connection".

Does that include my threaded connection or has it got to be changed for a bayonet? If so will the installer do this or do you pay the £80 for them to expect just to twist it on to a bayonet connection. :rolleyes:

If they do this for you do I have to have the correct hose, or connections ready for them?

Hope I haven't wasted the £80 and still got to pay someone else to come and fit it. :(

Sponsored Links
I'd bet money on it.

Might also be worth getting a GasSafe engineer to

a) check that the pipe is live
b) Make sure it's in the right location
c) Fit an accessible isolation valve and appropriate connector

Sponsored Links
See what happens. Don't provide any parts, otherwise what exactly have you just paid £80 for? Plead ignorance.

If you get a few sharp intakes of breath and "We cant do that", then say a polite "Thanks" and sign their docket saying "Appliance delivered but NOT connected."

Demand a refund of your £80, (as they haven't connected it), and get someone who knows what they're doing to come and do it.

Why would you pay a wagon driver to fit a gas cooker?
Ventilation requirements etc etc etc

IGTTD'S

Best to ring littlewoods, and ask for the procedures their fitters follow. I believe that it should be a bayonet fitting, and if their fitters are playing fair, then they should change the screw connector for a bayonet type (charging for it of course), and then connect the cooker.

Gas safe bulletin 025 states that it is acceptable for any capable person to disconnect a bayonet fitting; and you do not need to be gas safe registered to do it, but you would have to be to change a screw type connector to a bayonet fitting, or if considered safe, to connect a new cooker to a screw fitting.

Thanks for all the replies. Order Cancelled.

Can I just ask; the gas pipe with flange plug on sticks out of the wall behind the now removed electric cooker is about 30cms from the floor. What should I look out for in buying a dual fuel cooker? I'm reading about shaded areas in the manuals where you cannot have the pipe connection behind the cooker?

I presume the connection on a dual fuel for gas hobs is at the top of the cooker. With my connection being lower what does that mean for my installation? Would a gas installer just run the flexi gas pipe behind the the units at the side and back towards the cooker again at the top therefore avoiding the shaded area.

When we moved in 30 years ago the former owner had a gas cooker exactly where our electric one was before we pulled it out, surely all cookers have room behind them to allow for the pipe without have to stick out away from the wall.

Just don't want to buy a cooker that is going to cost in alterations.

Cheers for your help.

Last edited:
The basic intention is to have an outlet that allows the hose to hang unkinked.

Easiest and probably best is to phone a local RGI.
Not everyone works the same but if you phone me BEFORE you order, I would give you a quote (subject to survey but rarely altered) based on your answers. I would then survey before you order but insist on part payment. I would then return when you have the cooker. That way I will give you the max dimensions plus make sure gas supply is live and sufficient etc.

30 years ago the former owner had a gas cooker

Modern cookers are usually 60cm (24 inches) square.

Old ones were usually 50cm (20 inches)

So a new one may not fit where an old one did.

I don't know what year the balance tipped.

One last question. Does anybody know how much a gas safe installer would charge to install the gas bayonet adaptor and connect to cooker? Just as an idea before I look for someone.

All dimensions seem fine for this dual fuel cooker I want. Got plenty of room for the gas hose to be behind the cooker and if need be behind any cupboards. Gas pipe is just under 30cm from the floor directly behind the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back