gas cooker flexible bayonet hose

Use either ptfe tape( the gas type in the yellow packaging) or Boss White pipe jointing compound

I appreciate that this is your first post on the forum.

However, one of the site rules is that we dont give advice on gas or safety issues which would encourage inappropriate DIY work.

Sponsored Links
Is the current bayonet position suitable according to the new cookers MI's?

Most range cookers have a 'designated' area in which the bayonet must be positioned. This is critical for the safe operation of the appliance. If its not, what are you going to do then?

The exact point I was going to make,

I have ben to plenty of jobs where the connection point is not sited in the manufacturers specified positin causing such things as a hole in the gas hose due to the hose making contact with the oven flue or a slice in the hose due to it making contact/being crushed against a sharp edge or even crushed under the cooker as the point is too low.

The amount of time spent by RGIs on this forum looking to dissuade betnwah from wrapping some ptfe gas tape around the thread on his flexible hose before screwing it into the back of his cooker and checking/testing for leaks is bordering on the obscene. What part of DIY do they not understand, if your not willing to offer advice on how to do something, fine, say nothing, but please don't go into lecture overdrive everytime the simplest of questions are asked. Regarding the cryptic posts about the bayonet needing to face downwards and be at least 300mm from the floor to prevent the hose coming into contact with the floor etc and perhaps having an adjacent gas valve, so as not to rely on the bayonet to isolate gas supply. If this sort of information was put at the top of the page it would enable the public to perhaps check their existing cookers connections that may well need altering [by an RGI] to be made safe.

Sponsored Links
The point is that unless he is competent then this is not only not a diy job, it is also illegal.

Regarding the cryptic posts about the bayonet needing to face downwards and be at least 300mm from the floor to prevent the hose coming into contact with the floor etc

This is the exact problem with people trying to give advice on things they dont really understand. The height quoted is incorrect, but some diy gas fitter will take that measurement as being correct.

Fitting a cooker correctly is more involved than screwing a fitting together. Your whole installation should be tested for tightness, ventilation requirements checked, clearances from combustables, the cooker would be fully tested, Flame supervision devices, thermostats, door seals, flame pictures, and someone who knows that it is safe telling you it is.

OP are you sure you are competent to do this?

Wasn't it on "Brookside" about 20 years ago when whatsisname plugged in his own bayonet connection fitting a cooker DIY and blew up the whole street?

"Sinbad often supplied friends with furniture and kitchen equipment, so one day he was quite happy to sell a gas cooker to Ron Dixon who had just moved into the flat above his shop. Ron decided to save some money by installing the cooker himself, but this caused a gas leak resulting in an explosion causing major damage to Brookside Parade.

Sinbad and Carmel’s oldest son Ben were both caught in the blast, but while Sinbad just sustained injuries to his legs, Ben’s injury's were far worse and he was paralysed for life. Carmel could not forgive Sinbad for his part in causing the explosion and left him to live away from Brookside Close. Tinhead could not forgive him either and vowed to get revenge for his brother."

Thank you wsts, go to the top of the class, sorry I mean the top of the page where it says DIY gas is not illegal, thank you m1ky00, you must have missed the part where I said prevent the hose touching the floor, how bad can DIY gas be when the only example of anyone being hurt Axel can give us is a story line from an imaginary scenario in a soap episode from 20 years ago. Perhaps your opinions/lectures would carry more weight if RGIs were willing to expose their own installations to the scrutiny/inspection of someone other than themselves.

Wasn't it on "Brookside" about 20 years ago when whatsisname plugged in his own bayonet connection fitting a cooker DIY and blew up the whole street?

"Sinbad often supplied friends with furniture and kitchen equipment, so one day he was quite happy to sell a gas cooker to Ron Dixon who had just moved into the flat above his shop. Ron decided to save some money by installing the cooker himself, but this caused a gas leak resulting in an explosion causing major damage to Brookside Parade.

Sinbad and Carmel’s oldest son Ben were both caught in the blast, but while Sinbad just sustained injuries to his legs, Ben’s injury's were far worse and he was paralysed for life. Carmel could not forgive Sinbad for his part in causing the explosion and left him to live away from Brookside Close. Tinhead could not forgive him either and vowed to get revenge for his brother."

you do know that isn't real? ;)

Indeed, it is a legend...a fine example of how the media reinforces popular fears, concerns and stereotypes. They put that into the plot to 'educate' the masses on gas safety!

Thank you wsts, go to the top of the class, sorry I mean the top of the page where it says DIY gas is not illegal, thank you m1ky00, you must have missed the part where I said prevent the hose touching the floor, how bad can DIY gas be when the only example of anyone being hurt Axel can give us is a story line from an imaginary scenario in a soap episode from 20 years ago. Perhaps your opinions/lectures would carry more weight if RGIs were willing to expose their own installations to the scrutiny/inspection of someone other than themselves.
they do ,any job can on request of the customer be inspected by a gassafe inspector

DIY gas is illegal unless you are competent..... full stop.

If you are competent you can do gas work is yours or others homes as long as its not for reward or part of your work.

If for part of your work or for reward you must be registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back