gas cooker flexible bayonet hose

Sponsored Links
Stop being so pedantic and vindictive, Pedanticandvindivtiveman.

Thank you ctp, at a guess I'd say less than 1% of customers would have a clue as to whether a boiler had been installed/sited in a correct location
or if the supply pipe was sufficient size etc so how about a call for all new boiler installations to be checked/tested by an independent third party like LABC, it would help to concentrate the mind and maybe even improve workmanship but if nothing else it would certainly make life less BORING

Sponsored Links
I know this is a late post, but it may do someone some good - or at least upset the ivory towers.
Let's get something straight from someone grossly overqualified with a scientific background - (yeah, it does sound like I'm conceited, but there are those from whom I have had 'expert lectures, with Phd's, professors and Consultants in ALL fields, who weren't fit to wash my feet. I attach no importance to my professional qualifications as a result. Stick that in your ivory towers (No uni's mentioned)), The NIC and disbanded CORGI are only bodies of people who have been dealing with this stuff for a long time, or a concentrated time. No rocket science involved - I was CORGI registered until a short time ago, and got disgusted when they resized vents in the boiler cupboard twice. If you're looking for a safety margin, why not go the whole hog, stupid!
Before this, the NICEIC decided that my shower pullchord no longer needed to be 1.2M away from me in the shower - despite the fact I had always contended that the Bathroom door would be locked anyway.
These are but two minor points.
Of course we need a body of common sense, of course we need Health and Safety, but there are those whose reason is clouded by arrogance, greed and social ladder climbing, and those who feel a need to support those above them. (There is a name for this). The gasman has one advantage. He has a manometer which measures millibars - he puts it on the supply pipe, and if the pressure drops in a certain time, he knows you have a leak.
Fittings and pipework is reasonably tested, surprisingly enough, with soapy water. PTFE tape is the best sealant for joints to date.
I have seen poor jobs on soldering, boss white, and whole installations by CORGI registered installers - I have had a 16th edition qualified electrician NOT understand the principle of ELCB's.
So don't let's play pious - I advocate the thorough examination and questioning of an installation by the owner never mind the installer - they aren't always to be trusted
Remember your science lessons - double check for leaks, do the job right from the start, and if it doesn't feel right - recheck or re do. Switch all appliances off and watch the gasmeter over a couple of hours, see if the reading increases.
My concern for qualifications has always been the examiner - just as you get people who have no clue how to drive who have passed their 'test' - you know in your heart, the examiner was, at the very least, mistaken.
If you don't feel confident, don't do it - if you do, be prepared to question yourself.
Dave

listen here pal. we dont make the rules up we are just telling u the law
you are not allowed by law to fit a gas appliance unless you are competent person, ie passed ccn1 in gas.

sorry but that is how it is mate ;) ;)
You see you have now lost all credibility in my eyes because I know that isnt true. It is for people doing it for a living but not if diying at home. The law requires them to be competent but not to have a particular qualification.

If a job needs tests that a diyer cant do with test equipment he doesnt have then explain that and people will go away happy that they have had good advice but the kneejerk answer of "if it says gas anywhere you must use a gas fitter" and then rubbish like that about the law only looks like youre trying to hoodwink people and then theyll go away thinking that theyve had crap advice.

What are the more likely to follow? What they see as good advice or what they see as crap? If you really wanted to help people youd give them useful advice they could trust not tell them the law says things it doesnt and make them think they cant trust you.

I find all that so difficult to follow that I wonder which university would give you a degree let alone a PhD.

But more relevant is that for your first posting you add to a thread which is a year old!

Blimey; 5 pages of mostly BS - I searched google to check if it was OK for me to put a tiny, tiny smear of silicone grease on the gas bayonet fitting o-ring of my domestic gas cooker. Just to make it last a bit longer, slightly better seal, etc
Thought I'd ask 'experts' in an 'experts forum' if the stuff is safe to use with UK domestic gas ...
I've done it anyway now, thanks for nothing guys - you know who you are!
;>)
Will get back to you if a) house blows up and/or b) it works OK and lasts ... back in about 4 years then, to let you know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back