Gas cooker, oven temp issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old Zanussi GC9601 cooker. The hob/rings section works fine. The grill works fine. However the oven is the issue. The flame within the oven comes on when ignited, however it comes on (and stays) very low i.e. it doesn't vary at all. This means, although I can use the oven, timings are out the window e.g. if something is supposed to take 45 mins to cook, I need to leave it in for 1 hr 15 mins or whatever due to oven not getting up to the required temp.

I intend to replace the entire cooker when I install a new kitchen however that won't be for a year or so yet. Is this likely to be an easy fix for an engineer as I'd ideally like to get it repaired so it sees me through until I get my new kitchen.

Sponsored Links
My mother in laws old Cannon cooker had what sounds like the same problem & it was beyond economical repair. I can't remember wether it was because parts were not available or just too expensive. I would think the only way you will find out is to get a gas safe engineer to look at it.

The flame failure device seems to have failed.

These usually cost in the order of say £60 and can take some while to replace depending on the particular cooker.

If anyone asked me to quote then I would typically say £84 labour and £60 or whatever for the part.

On an older cooker that is unlikely to be an economic repair.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back