Gas Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Apologies in advance. I know this is a stupid question I just need to clear this up.

I've tried fitting a gas pipe for a cooker but after doing this no gas appears to be coming through. I've listened and tried to smell gas and can't smell any.

My question is. If the master gas switch is on (it must be because my combi-boiler thing is gas) then will there be a secondary switch for the kitchen?

It's the only reason I can think for there being no gas coming through. I've checked the fitting, it's the bayonette fitting which you slide on and twist about 90? degrees. It's gone on fine.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
No, I'm really that useless when it comes to DIY.

Hope you don't get any leaks and blow yourself to bits.

Sponsored Links
No, I'm really that useless when it comes to DIY.

Gas work is not DIY thats why we are so heavily regulated, do you value your familys life so little that you would risk killing them, call an RGI without fail

I think you've got the wrong idea entirely.

All I'm trying to do is connect a cooker to the mains.

I think you've got the wrong idea entirely.

All I'm trying to do is connect a cooker to the mains.

Thats still not allowed, all you are allowed to do is disconnect a free standing cooker from the flexible hose for lets say cleaning and then connect it back up, nothing more and certainly not allowed to connect it to the mains, so i have not got the wrong end of the stick, again get an RGI, should cost around £80, money well spent for the safegaurd of your family.

I've checked the fitting, it's the bayonette fitting which you slide on and twist about 90? degrees. It's gone on fine.

steady on peeps, it looks like all he is trying to do is connect the cooker using the bayonet fitting, to the op check that there isint another gas cock further upstream of the bayonet fitting.

Picasso, thanks for the reply.

I did a check inside upboards but I couldn't see any that are obvious. I'll check again tomorrow when I have more light.

Thanks for the help

*edit - I've just followed the pipe from the bayonet fitting along the wall (checking the cupboards) and there is no obvious switch.

first things first gas work is only allowed by qualified people!!!
second thing was this gas connection working previously with a gas cooker???
third thing if it wasn't is the gas pipe even connected??
fourth thing have it checked by a qualified person regardless if you get it working as you have fitted a permanent gas fixture!!!
other than this don't suppose many other engineers are going to provide much more info!!!

Wind up, I beleive, or illegal fitter, as he has already stated he has an eletric cooker:

Message Stri

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:35 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I just bought an electric cooker today but it's not wired to a plug. After looking at the manual and the B&Q site I realize I need about a meter of the cable below. The kitchen has a socket to carry the extra voltage that a cooker will need.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I need to identify the correct fitting to connect the cable from the cooker to the one I buy. Could someone suggest what this would be. I can't imagine that electricians tape would be sufficient for this kind of cable.

2. I need to identify what sort of plug is required as a standard plug obviously isn't going to carry the fuse required.

The manual says only wire it if you're an electrician or a competent person. I'll have some of the latter then.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=237391#ixzz1aKhHgRXV[/b]

It's a gas cooker and I'm not a troll.

I won't be coming back to this bloody forum that's for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back