Gas/Elec Smart Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are households obliged to have them installed? I don't need reminding that I will save money by switching a light off, or only partially filling a kettle to make a cup of tea.

Sponsored Links
If your energy company has contacted you to change to a smart meter because your current meter needs replacing, it could be a safety hazard not to. But if you really don't want a smart meter, tell your supplier and they will probably offer to install a smart meter set up to work with all the communications switched off.

They would like them forced on everyone but they've failed fuking miserably at doing that and all those lies about it saving money and helping reduce energy didn't work.

If your energy company has contacted you to change to a smart meter because your current meter needs replacing, it could be a safety hazard not to. But if you really don't want a smart meter, tell your supplier and they will probably offer to install a smart meter set up to work with all the communications switched off.

Any evidence for this or do you just believe what they tell people jack?

Sponsored Links
The smart meter fiasco was a nice piece of lobbying by the energy companies that the government fell for hook line and sinker.

The idea behind them, is that if you can see how much electricity you're using, then you'll be more careful, but as you'll have several things going at once, you won't know which item is burning the juice.

The smart meters send a signal to the meter reader as he drives round (at least I think that's how it'd done) so they need less meter readers to do the work. On top of that, you're bills have already gone up to cover the cost of the smart meter installation - about £200 I think - but of course they tell you that there'll be no additional costs for it.

The biggest fiddle as I understand it, is that they aren't designed to an industry standard, so one companies won't work with anothers, so if you change supplier, you may find you have to get another smart meter fitted.

You can refuse to have one installed, as I have, but I suspect they just keep chasing you to get it fitted.

The smart meter fiasco was a nice piece of lobbying by the energy companies that the government fell for hook line and sinker.

The idea behind them, is that if you can see how much electricity you're using, then you'll be more careful, but as you'll have several things going at once, you won't know which item is burning the juice.

The smart meters send a signal to the meter reader as he drives round (at least I think that's how it'd done) so they need less meter readers to do the work. On top of that, you're bills have already gone up to cover the cost of the smart meter installation - about £200 I think - but of course they tell you that there'll be no additional costs for it.

The biggest fiddle as I understand it, is that they aren't designed to an industry standard, so one companies won't work with anothers, so if you change supplier, you may find you have to get another smart meter fitted.

You can refuse to have one installed, as I have, but I suspect they just keep chasing you to get it fitted.

Let them keep chasing. Utter bastards IMO.

My electric meter was way way past it's replacement date by tens of years, it was only when they wanted to fit a smart meter did it get changed and I insisted that it is a normal meter and not a smart meter with the comms disabled.

I wont have one in the house.

seem to remember that there was a discussion in Italy about banning these smart meters from being fitted in domestic props ????

or they have been banned ???????? dunno

some thing about dishonest people being able to hack into them & getting to know when u are at home or not ? over a given period ??

So as to plan a burglary ??

Interesting article in the Daily Mail yesterday whereby the smart gas meter kept switching the gas supply off. Apparently, they have a solenoid in them, and I can only think that it's a way of cutting off the gas supply if you don't pay your bill.

I can only think that it's a way of cutting off the gas supply if you don't pay your bill.
That will be possible, of course if they are allowed to do it.

However, there is also the ability to vary cost during the day (more expensive when you want to cook dinner - I mean when demand is high), rotate supply between areas if the supply should fall short, etc. etc.
You can bet if they want to do it, it will not be for your benefit.

Interesting article in the Daily Mail yesterday whereby the smart gas meter kept switching the gas supply off. Apparently, they have a solenoid in them, and I can only think that it's a way of cutting off the gas supply if you don't pay your bill.
Currently you can't be disconnected for none payment unless the meter has been read and they therefore have proof you owe the monies.Smart meters are to save money, no meter reader to pay [used to be one] and in due course with the right legislation the aim is to charge consumers as you use power, so your bank account will P.A.Y.GO.

Well spotted EFL, just had a look at the USwitch website, and yes, they're suggesting that energy companies will collect real time usage statistics, which will allow them to offer "competitive time-of-use tariffs with cheaper prices for off-peak use" - double speak if ever I head it.

Apparently, the smart meters use a radio network to send meter readings, and it seems that it was Smart meters installed before October that had to be removed or switched off before you could change suppliers http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...w-device-installed-time-change-suppliers.html

And having posted the article about the dodgey gas meter, It's just occurred to me that we've been sucked in to this game, because whilst you may leave lights and tvs on that waste electricity, you're heating is going to be on or off, so how are gas smart meters going to help you save energy.

Yes, it is going to cost 11 billion pounds to implement, for which the consumer will pay - hardly fair if it is the companies who want to do it to save money.
After all we (electricians) are always being told that meters are the suppliers' property and we are not allowed to touch it.

11 billion divided by - what? - 30 million properties = £366 each.

At the same time consumer groups are trying to ensure that the Government mandates that any subsequent savings be returned to the consumer.

After the snoopers' charter last week, they will probably tell us that smart meters will help stop terrorism, too.

But I'm sure the pot growers will find a way to get round them, otherwise they'd get picked up dead quick.

Sponsored Links
Back