Gas fire with back boiler help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a gas fire with a back boiler , up untill yesterday it was working fine and heating our hot water . Today the hot water did not kick in and when we checked the pilot light it was not on , i then held the button in for 30 secs in clicked the ignition . When i released the button the pilot light would not stay on , i tried this sevral times but no luck , i held the pilot button in so it was on and my wife switched the heating on on and it still would not come on . We had the back boiler and fire serviced last year . Could anyone help as what may be the problem . Thank you

Sponsored Links
Call a Local RGI should be a VERY easy fix about 40-60 min labour and if previously serviced even better, but due to the fault i belive it to be would require a Registered Gas Installer, due to having to interfere with gas carrying parts.

Parts about £10-15 + Hours labour, if as stated.

You dont say what the fault is , can i purchase the part myself and then get a engineer in . When i called a engineer he said i will have to come and have a look at it first and there was a £15 call out just to come to our house . My wife would not even let me take the front of the fire so there is no way i would attempt it myself . Just tryi keep cost down and not get ripped off. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best leave it to the RGI.....if it is something else then you will have wasted your money. It's the labour rates that usually end up being the greater cost rather than the parts.....although that doesn;'t always apply but if you get a good repair engineer they don't usually mess you around.....too busy at this time of the year.......

I hardly think £15 call out is 'being ripped off' :rolleyes:

I regret to say that with that attitude you may never get it fixed.

I agree with the first price, around £80 + VAT to fix this. You could save about £2 if you wanted to buy the part yourself.

Read the full posting , i did not say £15 for a call out was a rip off . Mr Jobswothy .

Just got a quote : £90 if its the thermo couple and £200 if it is the valve .

The back boiler is a baxi , the quote for the valve was including vat .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back