Gas hob gas connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a gas hob be connected using a normal bayonet fitting hose to an existing supplied bayonet? The question is really...... does that comply with gas safe regulations?

Or.... does it have to be "hard" piped in copper?

Sponsored Links
I think it has to be hard piped in copper really. You need a GSR installer to do this. ;) ;)

Copper is better I've always done it that way as its easier to ensure nothing catches if there is an oven fitted underneath the hob. Without checking I belive it is acceptable if all the criteria of the hose installation is met.

Thanks for your replies so far, they are much appreciated.
Yes I think copper is better for sure, but I guess hoses are usually used for ovens that may be freestanding or built in, to allow for movement for access behind.

My question is what the Gas safe regulations will actually allow. Will they allow either..... or only copper for hobs?

I ought to point out that it has been installed by a gas safe installer, in copper! I am a happy enough DIYer but I don't mess with gas!

Sponsored Links
Can a gas hob be connected using a normal bayonet fitting hose to an existing supplied bayonet? The question is really...... does that comply with gas safe regulations?

Or.... does it have to be "hard" piped in copper?
I would say To comply with regulations you have to fit a gas hob with solid copper pipe(15mm).you can only fit free standing cookers with rubber bayonet connection

Hobs can only be fitted on a flex if manufacturers instructions say it can (few do) and even when its allowed if there is an oven underneath then it has to be copper.

Boldi wrong it is not only free standing cookers that can be fitted on flexes tumble dryers and built in oven are also fitted on them

Hobs can only be fitted on a flex if manufacturers instructions say it can (few do) and even when its allowed if there is an oven underneath then it has to be copper.

Boldi wrong it is not only free standing cookers that can be fitted on flexes tumble dryers and built in oven are also fitted on them
The origanal question was not asked about "tumble dryers or built in ovens"(was about solid pipe fitted to a GAS HOB)
I was just answering the question and stating 1 product that can only be fitted with flex,so really i was right,and really you was just undermining my answer when it was right....right!

My last gas hob was a sit on [free standing] unit which used a flexy connection.So it depends on the type of hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back