GAS HOB IGNITION WONT STOP FIRING

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by Bondai, 5 Aug 2010.

1. Bondai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ELECTROLUX GAS HOB
    MODEL: EHG641

Hello

My gas hob wont stop firing when power is turned on. All x4 poles are constantly sparking as soon as the power to the hob is on.

Is anyone familiar with this ? can you advise on what to do next in order to solve this problem.

Any advice most appreciated
    Thank you

2. jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is this the type that has a separate ignitor button? If so disconnect it & if the problem stops then you probably have water in the switch, if it is the type that automatically ignites when you turn on the gas then it would seem that the control unit is faulty.

3. Bondai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi thanks for replying

Well no its not separate. The ignition spark is usually activated by pushing the gas 'knobs' in whilst turning. You push whichever gas 'knob' in and turn at same time to let the gas flow, according to which gas ring you want to fire up.[/b]

PROBLEM SOLVED

One of the gas knobs had some greese built up inside it which was causing the built in ignition to stick. I removed the knob and cleaned the part it slots on to (this is the actual part that the outer knob slots onto and is turned and pressed down by the knob)

4. jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well done :)

5. TrixieC

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for this! I cleaned underneath all knobs and the problem is fixed! Didn't have to call out a serviceman after all, and has saved me about $120! :)