Gas main pipe in ceiling void

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friends flat in an old block has the live gas main pipe running into the kitchen and through a ceiling void to the meter position at the far end of the kitchen (about 15 to 18 foot). This is clearly illegal and dangerous as this unisolated gas pipe. The pipe should be cut off from the main gas line pipe on the landing ASAP. Who needs to be contacted about this?

Sponsored Links
Well is is clear these two idiots from Hertfordshire do not know. It needs someone who knows about gas. Anyone know out there? This is the London area.

Sponsored Links
What is the gas pipe material?
Iron. The pipes runs through void space and is uncontrolled for 18 foot. I know this is against all regs. My point is who needs to be contacted to put it right. A normal GasSafe man cannot touch a live gas main.

You need National Grid. I have exactly the same running through the underfloor in the hallway, into the understairs cupboard. National Grid are well aware, but are unwilling to do anything until it starts leaking. I suspect it my be the same reply for your situation. :rolleyes:

You need National Grid. I have exactly the same running through the underfloor in the hallway, into the understairs cupboard. National Grid are well aware, but are unwilling to do anything until it starts leaking. I suspect it my be the same reply for your situation. :rolleyes:
Thanks. In your case the underfloor space is vented, this is not, it is a void. If there is a leak, there could be a kaboom.

If GasSafe man spots this, what should he do?

Matter has to be referred to National grid, no-one else has the authority to touch their apparatus, and the supply would need to be isolated elsewhere, possibly by means of excavation externally. It is National Grids responsibility. Discuss with them.

The idea is to get it up to safe conditions and current regs.
As it is flats, the gas pipe runs up risers and has laterals on each landing. This is an old block. No excavation needed. Are National Grid responsible for the gas mains inside a block?

What makes you think ventilation wouldn't be up to current regs?
Are National Grid responsible for the gas mains inside a block?
They're responsible for everything up to the main meter.

As it is flats, the gas pipe runs up risers and has laterals on each landing. This is an old block. No excavation needed. Are National Grid responsible for the gas mains inside a block?

Why do you think that you are fully in command of the gas regulations to reach a conclusion on whether the installation breaches any regulations?

Which regulation do you think that it breaches?

What do you think would need to be done to make it comply?

Are all the flats pipes like this?

You say its a friend's flat. On what basis are you involved with this matter?

Tony

Why do you think that you are fully in command of the gas regulations to reach a conclusion on whether the installation breaches any regulations?

Which regulation do you think that it breaches?

What do you think would need to be done to make it comply?

Are all the flats pipes like this?

You say its a friend's flat. On what basis are you involved with this matter?
Tony
18 foot on of controlled gas pipe in a ceiling void I know is against all current regs. Have you seen any built like that recently? If you read the thread I was asking who to contact. National Grid was the answer. If you think it is fine then I assume you have scant knowledge on gas mains pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back