1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Gas meter connected to lead pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by tim_s_uk, 6 May 2008.

1. tim_s_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My gas meter is currently connected up with lead pipes on both sides. Can I get my gas supplier to replace the pipe before the meter? If so, is it better to arrange this before or after having the pipes on the other side replaced (or could I get the same engineer to do both sides)?

The lead pipe goes up into the ceiling, where it is soldered into 22mm copper pipe and run beneath the floorboards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, I had heard that the meters should not be this close together. I could ask for the meter to be moved up or to the right when the pipes are replaced. What are the regulations in this area?

Thanks.

2. tonybhoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    150MM away is what the regs say.

You'll have a job getting them to replace the lead pipe on their side though unless you have a faulty governor ;)

3. gas4you

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What a mess, but unfortunately unless it is in the communal area of a multiple dwelling legal, although I do wonder about the length of lead from the ECV to the meter.

It doesn't look as though a decent RGI has been near this for ages, no labels, emergency number, on/off etc. What govenor is that on it? Can't tell from the pic.

My advice would be to have the meter relocated below all the electrics, next to the ECV and to have your gas pipe re-piped all in copper.

The gas transporter could then fit a new govenor with a proper anaconda.

4. tim_s_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies. The govenor has "EVERED" written on it. You can click on the photos for a larger image.

It looks expensive to have the meter moved by the gas transporter (I assume an RGI can't do this).
    I was wondering if I could convince them that the lead pipe was unsafe and needed replacing. At this point the meter could be 'repositioned' slightly.
    I'll try writing to them.

5. gas4you

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In this case your local RGI would take this on, then get the gas transporter to replace the govenor or at least the anaconda.

It would not be more than 1/2 days work at maximum.