Gas meter not bonded, what diameter (4mm/6mm/10mm) GY earth wire should be used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently, Gas safety was checked in my rented property. He noted "Gas meter not bonded" in the fault section. I am bit surprised by it, as I knew all Cu pipes were bonded during last electrical safety checking. Then I recalled about 3/4 months ago the national grid guy moved the gas meter out of the wall which divide the garage. He must have left the meter Cu pipe without bonding.

When I bought the house the garage was already converted to a play room. Previous owner put a light wall and standard door within 2m of the metal garage door. The gas meter was inside. Then national grid issued notice that the gas meter need to move. After I approved it they moved the meter for free. I live 100 miles away and not present during the work. I have not visited the property yet.

1) Is national grid not supposed to put the earth bonding back to the gas meter?

2) The main electrical box with main earth terminal is just opposite side. What size earth cable should be used 4/6/10mm?

Sponsored Links
Technically they probably should have replaced it, but then again it might have required a different bod to do that bit. 10mm is the required size

If I am doing a gas certificate and there is no bonding then I would usually offer to do it while there for about £20 to £30 extra.

But to get anyone back just to do that would probably be £65 upwards.

Tony

The guy reconnecting the meter should have filled in a form to have a sparks call to replace bonding, at NG's expense. It has to be a complete length, no joins.
Phone National Grid and ask them to finish job.

Sponsored Links
it may be bonded as the pipe enters the building, which is acceptable,
there's a difference between cross bonding, which some people have where the pipes underneath the boiler are all bonded together for example, and MEB which is cold main, gas, and electric main bonded together. thats should be in 10mm.

the regulation states that the earth clamp should be within 600mm from the outlet of the meter, and before the 1st tee, or.... wherever practical (which could be where it enters the building)

If I am doing a gas certificate and there is no bonding then I would usually offer to do it while there for about £20 to £30 extra.
Would that be the case when meter position is outside?

It has to be a complete length, no joins.
Even though some might regard it as 'wise', there's not actually anything in the Wiring Regs which says that.

Given that there will nearly always be at least 4 or so screwed connections ("joins") in the electrical path from the gas pipe to 'places that matter' it's not too obvious why, say, 'one more joint' would make much difference.

Kind Regards, John

If it is a TT system it doesn't have to be 10mm.

Just to be pedantic.

It has to be a complete length, no joins.
Even though some might regard it as 'wise', there's not actually anything in the Wiring Regs which says that.

Given that there will nearly always be at least 4 or so screwed connections ("joins") in the electrical path from the gas pipe to 'places that matter' it's not too obvious why, say, 'one more joint' would make much difference.

Kind Regards, John

I demur to your qualifications. It has always been my understanding. In fact, I understood that when the cable is ran from the meter to a clamp on the water, then to the gas, that the cable had to be looped around the clamp terminal rather than using 2 lengths.

But I am always prepared to accept that I can be wrong.

I understood that when the cable is ran from the meter to a clamp on the water, then to the gas, that the cable had to be looped around the clamp terminal rather than using 2 lengths.
It may be a good idea but there is nothing in the BYB.

In fact, the water pipe can be used as the bonding conductor so, in the right situation, the cable may run from Gas pipe clamp to Water pipe clamp and go no farther.

Thanks for the replies. The gas meter is still inside, it just moved in between the metal garage door and middle wall. 10mm seems too thick, is it in regulation? I will visit the property on this Wednesday when I can check whether there is any bonding outside of the building. But I thought the bonding need to be in the consumer side?

As the meter is inside it should be bonded within 600mm. of meter on your side but leaving it where it was before would not really matter.

10mm² may be correct; it depends on the type of earthing you have.

I understood that when the cable is ran from the meter to a clamp on the water, then to the gas, that the cable had to be looped around the clamp terminal rather than using 2 lengths.
It may be a good idea but there is nothing in the BYB.

In fact, the water pipe can be used as the bonding conductor so, in the right situation, the cable may run from Gas pipe clamp to Water pipe clamp and go no farther.

Really?? And not back to the MET? Never heard of that one..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back