Gas meter on flexible connections?

Thats the problem, we pay all this money and never get an official answer of proper back up. All CORGI seem to want to do is police the people who are trying to do the job properly, as in gas work notifications. They should concentrate on the unregistered more I think!

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
What was meant is that 2 flexis joined together for extra length is not allowed.

If one is safe then I dont see why two should not be safe as well.

However when two from either side of a gas meter are joined together then obviously it might be illegal but I dont see why it should At Risk !

Where can you get male meter connections for testing when the meter has been removed? It would be so much lighter than carrying round a meter!

Agile if you mean a male connection that fits into the meter outlet these are readily avialable and have a built in nipple for testing the internals. Been avialable for at least 30 years. As for original question call transo out just say smell of gas . Lead inlets cannot be left now and meter will be fitted on a jig..

For the others Anaconda on inlet and out let is against gasboard or whatever you want to call them now internal regs

Sponsored Links
No, I dont think so!

I mean a connector that simulates a meter inlet and outlet!

They are or were available because I have seen a "no meter" bridge in use but where can I get two?

Namsag, do you think Transco will replace a lead meter inlet pipe at my request?

Tony

Meter bridges used to be mainly used for the old token meters or coin meters that would not fit into some external meter boxes .So bridge was fitted in box and meter was then installed into internals at a convienent point... They used to have a serial number stamped on them that was recorded for that address. Hundreds must have gone missing over the years...

They should not be used for commisioning boilers etc when there is no meter fitted as this is theft of gas so there is no need to have one. ;)

As for changing a lead inlet transco no longer exist. But naional grid or whoever the local emergency provider is should change lead inlets whenever they are called to a meter exchange or leak. Same as they should change the butterfly type maintaps.

I did about 6 weeks on meter changing installation etc just before Xmas,and we were told that the outlet HAD to be ridgid,AND every meter HAD to have a bracket,wall,floor,whatever,but it had to have one.

Every governor HAD to be changed as well,even if the existing one looked new,they supplied governors,and the inlet anacoda already made up and pre tested.

namsag said:
As for changing a lead inlet transco no longer exist. But naional grid or whoever the local emergency provider is should change lead inlets whenever they are called to a meter exchange or leak. Same as they should change the butterfly type maintaps.

Are you meaning to say that they will not change lead inlets or butterfly cocks on request, but only when another visit is required?

Are the meter male outlet connectors available on their own?

Its sometimes useful to do a tightness test and investigate a reported leak when the meter has been removed from tenanted property.

Transco is easier to type than N...G... Whatnots and we all know we mean. Some BG people still say they work for the Gas Board!

Tony

My local N G have never changerd butterfly cocks even when they have been called out for pressure probs etc and noticed them, even though I have pointed them out to them. (unless thay were faulty)

Ive found the male meter outlets hard to come across which is why when ever we're on site and NG Gas are removing the old incomming supply we have a word and ask if we can keep it.Some say yes some say no.

The spare secondary meter in the van comes in very handy occasionally.

As for two flexablbe connections, either lead of anaconda i thought it was AR.

Butterfly cocks for definite on request .Leads pretty sure it`s only if they are on site.

Meter outlets readily avialable from plumbcentre along with meter washers . Trouble is they dont fit some of the older brackets and they need an adaptor plate which i think only N.G have.

so pretty much if i were to ( ahem... ) accidentaly damage the lead pipe if i move the meter slightly to do the floor under it, then they would come out and change the pipes for me and put it on a bracket for free???

are gorgi regitered guys allowed to do customer side connections from the meter?

at current, the gas pipe is tee'd off for the boiler, then goes INTO the wall ( pipe is partly burried in the plaster.. ) and then tees off left and right.
the left side goes round the kitchen to the cooker point and is tee'd off along it's way through the wall to the fire in the lounge.. ( which is capped off as the fire is electric and may never be gas again.. not sure on the state of the chimney.. want this leg removed.. ).
the right side goes off behind the units round a corner and then stops.. not used for anything...

so basically i want the whole lot taken out, and then the boiler and the cooker re-piped..

CORGI guy can do outlet side, Transco will do inlet side. Sparks will do earth bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back