gas meter relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys im asking for my father whos gas meter is located under the stairs in the pantry ,he would like it relocated into the garage which is on the side of the property but it will need a new main moled under the driveway into the garage does anyone have an idea of cost and who he would need to contact reguarding this .His propetry is the same as mine and hes a street away in a culdesac ,the whole estate had theres including mine moved about 8 years ago but i guess his road got missed .

Sponsored Links
cheers for that ive just gave him the number for national grid ,one other thing the estates gas was redone in plastic where his is still the rusty steel coming through the concrete floor would you say the pipe is due for an upgrade anyway

They only upgrade pipework if it either suits them to do it, or it's leaking. New service to a different position, I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for £800 odd.

Sponsored Links
that would be ok to be honest as my parent are now both in there seventys and want a downstair toilet fitting were the meter sits like in my house he would be happy if was around a thousand

Possibly will want to survey first, make sure you tell them exactly where you want the meter box, as digging tem will lay service to that position.

if the existing steel service happens to be leaking then they can not legally repair it they have to relocate it outside at their expense hint hint

Got to prove its leaking first, tried that one! Mine is NCS, as there is pipework inside the property that cannot be isolated, but they wont do anything until it starts leaking. Short of taking a hacksaw to it myself I cant really do much other than wait.....

So if an existing steel pipe under a drive was damaged by a lorry backing down the drive would they renew F.O.C ?

Not sure there Nige. Depends what the lorry was doing backing down the drive. Most builders merchants/readymix/skip/sweeper hire companies have a disclaimer on the ticket saying the customer orders the vehicle to leave the public highway at the customers own risk.

Have to wonder if the gas transporter will argue the toss as to whether it was preventable damage and not wear and tear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back