gas pipe for ch boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help. I have a house which has the gas meter and supply in the lounge, front wall, and a gas fire in the same room. The supply then runs nearly 30ft under the floor to the kitchen at the rear which feeds a gas cooker. There is soon to be a gas CH system running 7 rads but no hot water.
The pipe run is all in 15mm. I have had several gas installers with various answers from 'should be ok, I think' to 'needs a bigger pipe '
Cost is an important factor as a new pipe would mean digging up a concrete floor. Who is right or wrong????
Could someone please advise me and if possible point me in the right direction as to any regs or pressure/pipe charts so I can be clear as to what I need.
A friend of mine had a similar problem some years ago and the boiler kept cutting out when the cooker was used. They never did get to the bottom of it before they sold the property.
I thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Regards ha007

Sponsored Links
By my calculation

9m (30') x 15mm will allow approx 1.5m3/hr.

Allowing 0.8m3/hr for your cooker and 0.75m3/hr for your fire.

With no restriction allowed for your already under sized or on your limit

ha007 said:
Hi
Hope someone can help. I have a house which has the gas meter and
A friend of mine had a similar problem some years ago and the boiler kept cutting out when the cooker was used. They never did get to the bottom of it before they sold the property.
ha007

Immediately Dangerous and should have been disconnect.

It will be undersized and dangerous, so anyone that says otherwise get rid of.

If you want to post the length and the number of bends, tees etc, as well as the appliance detail including the new boiler model we could size the pipe for you.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
If you want to post the length and the number of bends, tees etc, as well as the appliance detail including the new boiler model we could size the pipe for you.

yeah

why not do an RGI out of a job :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

I know a lot of RGIs that couldn't or don't bother to work it out Kev, from his post the OP knows a few as well.

At least by knowing the correct size the OP can discuss the ins and outs with the next guy/gal that turns up.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

with modern boiler being senitive to gas pressures. i would advise to work it out correctly. or use the largest pipe where practical, and for as long as the run as posible.

I know a lot of RGIs that couldn't or don't bother to work it out Kev, from his post the OP knows a few as well.

I agree, from the corgi people i've had in (not all of em) i'm sure they should of been struck off a long time ago.

It's worrying that each corgi engineer differs from the other. 1) 15mm gas pipe is fine 2) 15mm is too small, need at least 28mm.

What the ****! Makes me very worried and yes they are all qualified..

At least being armed with this info allows you to spot the cowboys easier. doitall has said in the past that it is better to know than something bad happen and i would only use the info to discuss further with a corgi.

kevplumb said:
What the ****! Makes me very worried and yes they are all qualified..

really :?: :?:

AT WHAT :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

qaulified at bulls**t does not make a good RGI :rolleyes:

Worried that they are going to do an incorrect/unsafe installation. Out of the three i've seen, two would of. I only know that because i've found out the regs, gas pipe sizing etc. 1 of them was brilliant and clearly knew his stuff so he will get my job. from all the blurb about, being corgi registered should mean he is compotent. Otherwise, why can he get his registration??

All the guidelines say make sure they are corgi registered, from your statement, obviously that is nonsense and some of them aren't as good as some diyers. Worrying.

This is not a dig at you, you help a lot of people and should be respected for that. So don't take it personally ;)

hi all
thanks for the replies so quick

specs are as follows... (meter is on front inside wall of lounge in built in cupboard)
Distances..
3ft from meter to gas fire in lounge then 30 ft run to kitchen boiler location. 40 ft in total to the cooker. 3 bends in total but what pipe is visible along route is 15mm ! Looks as if buried in concrete floor.
boiler is to be Halstead Eden sbx30 and will run ch only. Hot water to remain on e7 incase of services failure. Rads are 3x600x1000 1x600x600 2x600x1200 1x600x400

gas cooker to be standard 4 ring single oven and grill

gas fire is already in situ and is quite substantial as it was chosen to heat a 22x13 lounge. sorry dont have the specs but its a glass enclosed coal ef.. fire looks like a woodburner. sorry cant remember any more info.

thanks again

andy

Who thinks that you need that size boiler ???

Oversizing is not a macho thing like a 4 x 4 to tke the kids to school but an inefficient boiler.

Agile said:
Who thinks that you need that size boiler ???

Oversizing is not a macho thing like a 4 x 4 to tke the kids to school but an inefficient boiler.

i agree, with those size of rads i would have thought (heating only) you get away with a 18 kw boiler (60000 btu) and run the first half of gas main in 28mm dropping to 22 for the rest ( dependant on bends ect/apart from tees to fire/cooker)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back