Gas pipe under the floor!?!?!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to extend a gas pipe that comes out of the wall, the pipe is a black\brownish
Steel pipe, looks about, ¾ or 1” the pipe will need to tee of in 2 directions, to gas hob, and to boiler, on the the one to the hob needs to go under the ground, solid concrete floor. about 2 meters will need to be under the floor. I have dug the floor up.

I have had a couple of Cogri people round (yes looked at the card and flipped it) both say completely different things, one said he would run 15mm copper inside a plastic tube. The other guy said he would use a steel pipe, and cut it on site, bsp thread it, and connect it up with a compression fit to the existing pipe in the wall, and bayonet the other end, for the hob.

Copper sounds quite simple and good, what do you guys use, for this type of job.

What sounds the best to go for? The copper was much cheaper.

Darren

Sponsored Links
the pipe to the hob should not have a bayonet connector, it should be piped all the way using fixed piping

dosent matter which pipe you use the hob should be in fixed pipework and it should be wrapped or sleeved when burying it in concrete

thank you, the hob states in the maual, flexi pipe, with a bayonet?

so the copper will be fine I will go for that, as the price is better. but I do no that the black Iron steel pipes are not always wrapped, I have seen them directly in solid floors, is that not correct?

you say rigid all the way, but the hob says flexi can be used.

Darren

Sponsored Links
if the manufacturers instructions say you can use a flexi then you can

all pipework should be wrapped or coated before being buried

should be pressure tested before being coated or wrapped

steel still rots just takes longer

hope this answers your question

There are only a couple of hob manufacturers who put in there instructions that a flex can be used, but this is over ruled if the hob is fitted above a built in oven and should be rigid fixed with isolating valve. Can`t believe in this day and age people would want to go to hassle of fitting iron in a domestic situation.

having read the corgi "guidelines" i find "shuold not be used where temp may be above 50 deg
so you are right ,but it also says manufactureres instructions
override everything ,usual red tape get out clause.

having thought about it i would think the back of the average cooker is well above that on a sunday dinnertime

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back