Gas Pressure too low - boiler at risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please.

I had a fault with a new-ish boiler (April 2013) which is under a 5 year warranty so the engineer comes out to rectify it. After he's done what he's done, he tests it including checking the pressure. Apparently it's 13 mBar and he announces that it's risky (the boiler apparently should be getting 16 mBar), gives me a official form and slaps a sticker on it. He measured the pressure at the meter and it was about 21 mBar.

He says I ought to get the pipes looked at as they are might be too small or old iron ones that are corroding. The problem is that the pipes are chased into the wall behind tiles. I am not sure how they get from the meter as the kitchen floor is concrete which is another concern.

I have dug out the commissioning sheet from the original installation which states that the gas inlet pressure was 19. I know nothing about CH systems so I presume that this is from the same place that the warranty engineer tested (i.e. where he found 13 mBar) and not the meter pressure.

Could the pressure going into the boiler have gone down this much in 18 months and if so what could have caused that ?

Desperately hoping I don't have to start pulling apart a fairly new kitchen which I have in fact also just decorated

Should the next step be to get my regular CH service bloke in ?

Cheers in advance

Edit: He did have me turn on all the radiators and all the gas rings but not sure if that 13 mBar measurement was before or after I did this

Sponsored Links
Unlikely that the condition of the pipe has changed since the boiler was installed.

If you could continue to use the boiler it is at your risk. The warranty man has absolved himself of the responsibility.

It is up to you if you get the pipe upgraded as required, but your installer was naughty to falsify the benchmark book.

Thanks Dan.

Also is this something that my regular CH service guy should have picked up ? He's serviced our CH for at least 10 years and the pipework has been the same since then (apart I guess from the actual piping from the wall to the boiler which I presume changed with the new installation to accommodate where the inlet on the new boiler was

Sponsored Links
You talk about a "service guy" but don't say if it was him who installed the boiler.

You need to call the installer back to look at it. He should not have fitted a boiler if the inlet pressure was less than 19 mbar at the boiler connection.

Its a little questionable but most RGIs would say that if it needs to be upgraded then that should be at your cost. Any RGI can do it so you could ask for different quotes.

If your installer does not want to co-operate then you could ask Gas Safe to investigate it. They can serve a defects notice on the installer to correct it. But again it becomes vague as to who should pay for the upgrade.

Tony

You need to call the installer back to look at it. He should not have fitted a boiler if the inlet pressure was less than 19 mbar at the boiler connection.
Tony

Vokera water heater springs to mind. ;)

Tony

Vokera water heater springs to mind. ;)

When yiu said you were a quick reader I didnt think you had read the entire cc backlog

;)

Are you like my own little private stalker?

Want to play guess who?, I like yellow, it's my favourite colour.

;)

You talk about a "service guy" but don't say if it was him who installed the boiler.

Its a little questionable but most RGIs would say that if it needs to be upgraded then that should be at your cost. Any RGI can do it so you could ask for different quotes.

If your installer does not want to co-operate then you could ask Gas Safe to investigate it. They can serve a defects notice on the installer to correct it. But again it becomes vague as to who should pay for the upgrade.

Tony

What if the boiler was at 18 MB is that not ok Tony if the meter was at 19?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back