Gas regulations regarding removing an oven glass top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Rangemaster 550 oven which has a hinged glass top.
If the top is up with one of the rings burning and you put the lid down, the gas goes out, but if you lift the lid the gas starts again. According to the gas board man, who was in the house the other day, it now needs replacing as the current regulation say the gas should not come back on. It has always been like that and the manual says that is how it is supposed to work.

Theoretically, If I removed the glass top and hinge, would a gas man coming into the house to do work, say the cooker would need replacing.

Sponsored Links
If the manufacturers instructions say that's how it should behave then it's fine. Removing the glass top would be an unauthorised modification of an appliance and would render it technically unsafe for use

The Gas Man means it doesn't meet current standards, this doesn't mean it wasn't to current standards when it was produced.

If the manufacturers instructions say that's how it should behave then it's fine. Removing the glass top would be an unauthorised modification of an appliance and would render it technically unsafe for use

To be more customer friendly, I would word that as:

"If the manufacturers instructions say that's how it should behave then it's fine. Removing the glass top would be an unauthorised modification of an appliance and would technically render it unsafe for use."

Sponsored Links
Some models were available with and without a glass top!

Just been talking to the HSE Gas Safety Advice Line Technical dept and I explained what the Gas Board man said & he said "Load off Bol###ks". He also said you can still buy cookers which work the same way ie where the gas comes back on.

That puts this question to bed, thanks for all your help.

Yes stupid thing to say, you can't update a safety control to a completely different control.

I'm a little confused about what would be unsafe about removing a glass lid?

what was the gasboardman doing in house to start with , what job ?

Yes stupid thing to say, you can't update a safety control to a completely different control.

I'm a little confused about what would be unsafe about removing a glass lid?

Would make it an alteration to a a manufacturers appliance and therefore prohibited.

Nope, not "prohibited" - common sense must be defined and applied.

The gas safety regulations infer and explain that if a H&S executive confirms that the safe use and function of a gas appliance is not compromised then the appliance is deemed 'safe to use' with no applied deteriment to the gas safety regs.

Therefore JohnWB56 has related that the H&S technical dept has confirmed no deterimental affect on safetey with glass lid removed. The gas cut-off valve would still be intact and unaltered and unmodified, the gas man was over stipulating the regs because of his lack of understanding to apply them appropriately.

Removing the glass lid is actually safer because there is no lid to heat up or break - the very thing that the cut-off valve was designed to prevent in the first place!

However, to comply fully and legally, a written letter of exemption must be obtained from the H&S executive who must be satisfied with all aspects of the exemption.

regards.
MrTherm

No that is not what I said.

The HSE confirmed that removing the lid is not allowed, what they did confirm is that

If the top is up with one of the rings burning and you put the lid down, the gas goes out, but if you lift the lid the gas starts again that this is ok.

Sorry for any confusion, but I think that some people did not read the complete thread.

Removing the glass lid is actually safer because there is no lid to heat up or break - the very thing that the cut-off valve was designed to prevent in the first place!

You know you may well be right, I had always presumed they prevented lid shutdown and flame impingement and reduced oxygen = co

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back