Gas Regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at updating my kitchen. We're blocking up a wall, moving some gas/water pipe work and I've been told by someone (Who was told by someone who was told by their kitchen fitter) that I can't fit a hob/oven anywhere near the gas inlet pipe as that's against regulations or something.

Is it all chinese whispers? Or is this actually a real thing? Anyone got any links to what the regulations are in redoing a kitchen?

BTW, all pipe work/ electical work will be done by qualified people, just haven't found one yet. Still designing the layout to show potential tradesman.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong area)

Sponsored Links
Looking at updating my kitchen. We're blocking up a wall, moving some gas/water pipe work and I've been told by someone (Who was told by someone who was told by their kitchen fitter) that I can't fit a hob/oven anywhere near the gas inlet pipe as that's against regulations or something.

Is it all chinese whispers? Or is this actually a real thing? Anyone got any links to what the regulations are in redoing a kitchen?

BTW, all pipe work/ electical work will be done by qualified people, just haven't found one yet. Still designing the layout to show potential tradesman.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong area)

So how would you connect the hob to the gas?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I mean it comes straight through from the box outside into the kitchen then splits and goes either upstairs to the boiler, or round to the hob on the opposite wall. I just want to move the hob to the place where it comes in but have heard through the grape vine that's a no no.

I want to see if anyone knows the answer so I don't get taken for a mug by a local gas man

How would you get taken for a mug? If you can do it, he'll say you can. And if you can't do it, he'll say you can't.
There would be no benefit to him to advise you wrongly one way or another.
You sound like a mug anyway.

How would you get taken for a mug? If you can do it, he'll say you can. And if you can't do it, he'll say you can't.
There would be no benefit to him to advise you wrongly one way or another.
You sound like a mug anyway.

Wow, what a lovely guy you are.

OP, consider this from the professional's point of view.

Day in day out we get customers lying about the condition, age, service history of their appliances. . They think the amount they are charged is what goes into the personal income of the person who is doing the work.

They then watch the likes of the BBC who make stupid, inaccurate, sweeping, scaremongering drivel about tradesmen.

Then we come on forums like this to give free PROFESSIONAL advice in our own time with decades, no, centuries of combined experience. . For people like you to cast generalisations.

What do you do for a living? How would you feel if your boss said "hold fire, I'm getting another opinion before you do your day's work as I think you are a scumbag and will try and rinse the company for all you can."

Not nice is it?

Whoever has told you this is talking sh#te, absolutely no reason at all why it cant be done

Probably related to a kitchen fitter 112 :mrgreen:

OP, Further to my post. . Did you know that a so called professional employed by a couple of consumer watchdog programmes was working on gas without the required qualifications? He posts on here too :LOL:.

Another Watchdog ****** was done for benefit fraud. :rolleyes: .

Great innit. :evil:

OP, Further to my post. . Did you know that a so called professional employed by a couple of consumer watchdog programmes was working on gas without the required qualifications? He posts on here too :LOL:.

Electrotech?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back