Gas struts for pop top caravan roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Does anyone know if there is a tool I can use to 'wind in' and shorten a gas strut so I can fit it between 2 fixed points that are shorter than the length of the strut itself? I need to shorten it by a few cms to line it up and connect it to a hinge bracket but it's too powerful for me to push in and hold in place with my hand (the strut is diagonal to to the fixing points and there is not enough space for me to upend the strut and simply push down against a hard surface)

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hi there good morning to you. The struts are not something you can alter you would need to purchase news ones. There is a number on the strut that defines the size, they are not expensive if you go on eBay type in on the search bar 351408686325 that will direct you to wildwildshop. I purchased a pair last week for my wife's Merc but they sell all different sizes and only £9.99 for a pair. Hope this helps you Nigel.

Usually you'd need to pull them together from each end. A long run of cable ties perhaps?

They're quite fragile so there aren't many good clamping positions.

Sponsored Links
A strong rope between both ends then a screwdriver used to wind the rope may work.

You can get very big cable ties (I think they're called "Chassis straps"), which might be possible to join in a loop and hold the strut partially closed? Can you compress it at all while it's off the car, or is that impossible too?

Back