Gas supply to fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a nice fireplace which is currently set up for use as an open fire. I want to keep the fireplace but install a gas fire - it's not a DIY job, I'd get a professional in.

My question is how do I find out if there is a gas supply to the fireplace? It is a typical 1930s semi in Brighton. We do have gas powered central heating. Is it likely that a gas supply to the fireplace was fitted when built?

Sponsored Links
Chances are no.. Look out for capped off gas taps or pipes that may have been used once but If they are lead, the get it replaced

I have a nice fireplace which is currently set up for use as an open fire. I want to keep the fireplace but install a gas fire - it's not a DIY job, I'd get a professional in.

My question is how do I find out if there is a gas supply to the fireplace? It is a typical 1930s semi in Brighton. We do have gas powered central heating. Is it likely that a gas supply to the fireplace was fitted when built?

There may not be a supply to the fireplace but there will be a gas source very close that you can tap into to supply your new fire, it shouldn`t be very too expensive to do this.

a good clue is short cut sections of floorboard either side of the breast,if you find 1 or 2,try lifting them and look for a gaspipe.if you have cellars? the job is much easier.

Sponsored Links
Where is your gas meter in relation to the room? If it is at the front of the property then there will be a good chance that the gas pipe will be under the floorboards already if the boiler is at the back of the property.

Will just need teeing off.

Thanks for the answers. The gas meter is under the stairs - on the external side wall of the house. The boiler is upstairs on the back wall of the house but has probably been moved at some stage. Fireplace is on the opposite side to the meter - the wall shared with next door.

Good idea re the floorboards. Complete redecoration of the lounge is underway but I haven't lifted the carpet yet. No cellar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back