Gassafe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there different levels of gas safe registration, i've just phoned a registered gas safe engineer (we've used him before for repairs,) I wanted a price to install a new gas boiler (conversion from oil) he says he's not registered for installing, only repairs and servicing, just seems a bit unusual to me.

Sponsored Links
Seems unusual to me as well there are different acs certifications but if you hold the relevant acs accreditation for working on domestic gas boilers you can service install repair ect !!

Although there was something about if you only repaired or serviced boilers you ststed that this was all you did & therefore you would not have to notify building control ?? or inform Corgi / gassafe ?? maybe this is what he is referring to ??

He's obviously busy enough doing servicing/repairs, and not interested in busting a gut to lug new boilers into lofts. Lucky man!

Sponsored Links
Are there different levels of gas safe registration, i've just phoned a registered gas safe engineer (we've used him before for repairs,) I wanted a price to install a new gas boiler (conversion from oil) he says he's not registered for installing, only repairs and servicing, just seems a bit unusual to me.

It could well be he is one of the many 6-12month short course trained cowboys.

He will have dabbled with a few boilers at college i.e servicing/stripping down, but has not served an apprenticeship so is not experienced and or knowledgeable to install.

With the rubbish he has spouted I would put anything on it he was a baker or shelf stacker before being ripped off and believing that he would make 100K a year by these college providers.

Advice!

Get 3 quotes from LOCAL businesses AND LOOK FOR:

1. Gas safe registration
2. A business address and landline number.
3. Look for CIPHE or SNIPEF registration and ensure min level three qualification i.e ADVANCED PLUMBER status, it will be on their grade card.

Note: Short course trained plumbers or electricians can't achieve grading status as they have not undertaken a recognised apprenticeship.

This is important as you will ensure that they have served a recognised apprenticeship and will ensure you do not get any of the 12 month trained gas idiots or 6 month college trained short course idiots.

When installed you should receive,

1. Minor works certificate from the electrician.

2. The Benchmark must be completed at the back of the boiler installation manual.

3. Registration confirmation from gas safe and the warrenty cover from the manufacturer.

Thats the best advice you will get take heed!

Look for CIPHE or SNIPEF registration and ensure min level three qualification

WTF - many if not most plumbers would not bother registering with these organisation. That doesn't make them incompetant in any way, they just don't want to give there hard earned money away for nowt. A recommendation from someone that knows they can do a good job is worth more than another sticker on their van.

Minor works certificate from the electrician

Why would they need this if the exisiting spur was already there

To the OP - it sounds like your guy knows his limitations and is obviously not comfortable with installations. That doesn't necassarily make him a bad service or repair engineer.

Have to agree with Gastel & Mark br , some of these organisations are in my view a waste of space staffed by a bunch of pencil pushers sitting around dreaming up some new way to fleece the good honest tradesman out of some more money , most of them would not know there backside from a pineapple !!!!!!!!

There's nowt to suggest that the OP's usual engineer is a CCC. Maybe, like me, he can't be bovved with major installs anymore and prefers to just focus on services and repairs? Surely it's usual that people generally start on installs and move into repairs anyway? Maybe, if he's not got his OFTEC, he wasn't comfortable with decommissioning the oil system?

Saying all that, I reckon 1canhelp was just left with the red CCC mist from the hot/cold mixed up thread and let rip.

God save us from another "I carried someone else's bag, polished their spanners, listened to their opinionated, bigoted crap for 5 years before I was allowed to change a radiator valve" gobshyte.

Make sure they are qualified, insured, have an address, a landline number and take references and then you'll be OK.

Thanks guys, It is a long established company was run by the father now the son, don't know why he's not installing.

Is fitting a replacement boiler notifiable through building regs then ? (this is part of an extension so is already going through building control.)

to op yes all boiler do have to be notifeid to gas safe
to 1canhelp i do service and repair and boiler swaps but i do not do full heating systems as i do not have the speed to make it pay so i try stick to maintaince side as i am happy with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back