Gassafe

God save us from another "I carried someone else's bag, polished their spanners, listened to their opinionated, bigoted crap for 5 years before I was allowed to change a radiator valve" gobshyte.

Make sure they are qualified, insured, have an address, a landline number and take references and then you'll be OK.

So which overpriced 6 week course did you enrol on? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
God save us from another "I carried someone else's bag, polished their spanners, listened to their opinionated, bigoted crap for 5 years before I was allowed to change a radiator valve" gobshyte.

Make sure they are qualified, insured, have an address, a landline number and take references and then you'll be OK.

So which overpriced 6 week course did you enrol on? :LOL:
lol :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :eek:
so dangermouse which one did you do :p

Sponsored Links
Thats the best advice you will get take heed!

The internet is a fantastic place if you are lacking self confidence.

Not at all, I'd be interested to hear what is wrong with that advice, are you a cc and I've hit a raw nerve?

Mark Br

United Kingdom
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Look for CIPHE or SNIPEF registration and ensure min level three qualification

WTF - many if not most plumbers would not bother registering with these organisation. That doesn't make them incompetant in any way, they just don't want to give there hard earned money away for nowt. A recommendation from someone that knows they can do a good job is worth more than another sticker on their van.

Quote:
Minor works certificate from the electrician

Why would they need this if the exisiting spur was already there

To the OP - it sounds like your guy knows his limitations and is obviously not comfortable with installations. That doesn't necassarily make him a bad service or repair engineer.

Well mark b that is your opinion however, should the op follow what I have said he/she is more likely to get a competent job done with a course of redress should something go wrong.

Yes there are many organisations that make money off our backs however thay are not going to go away.

If you are happy to scrabble about in peoples houses trying to compete with every other bad timeserved plumber or inexperienced cc, go right ahead.

To gain many public service contracts, thats where the good money is by the way, you need to be a member of such schemes as CIPHE or SNIPEF and through these organisations you can register with CHAS or CLE, these two organisations are mandatoy for PPL's on many public sector contracts.

The issue with minor works, we as a organisation provide full certification always for gas, electrical, oil and renewable works however small. This is what makes us stand out from the rest, hence we can charge slightly more than the going rate as people/organisations know they are getting the job done correctly by properly trained/qualified operatives.

I have been to many boiler swaps where the spur and or other parts of the electrical installation are not to standard, would you not bother to check it and just fit the new boiler? then again you probably wouldn't know how to check it correctly but remember, ignorance is not an excuse in a court of law should for instance the cpc on the spur circuit be incomplete and you fit a new boiler which, subsequently develops a fault to earth.

I wouldn't expect anyone on here to know half of this as 99% are probably short course trained on here to suplement their meagre knowledge or timeserved one man bands scrabbling about at the arse end of the market barely making a wage.

To the OP, something doesn't sound right about the company not doing installs and what he said about having to be registered is rubbish, hell there is two of them and a boiler swap isn't the biggest of jobs is it. I could see his point if he was offered 10 houses or a school refit to do!

I gave you advice which would ensure a good job, should you wish to listen to half the knowledgeable chaps on here Mmmm! sarcasim then take your chances.

Whats wrong mark Br cat got you're tounge? or is it I am correct in my assumption that you do not have a clue of the real business world?

Just let me know which part yu don't understand and I'll break it down into Beano sized chunks for ya! :p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My business is doing nicely thank you and I think I can understand without any help from you. It's just that I think you are full of **** and can't really be bothered with you.

As part of my working life ive worked on and in council building,blue chip companys, social housing etc and although these companys may have all the right credentials what makes u think that standards of work differ?
Some of the are the worst culprits bound over a barrel having to quote for half of a job to get the tender,more profesional i dont think.
Example-County council owned social services offices.
Originally tank fed cylinder in basement,with tank feeding dcw as well.
Cylinder replaced with a Megaflo original pipework used.
1 DCW feed to cyl cut and capped in basement
2 Exp pipe in roof void-Speedfit end cap
3-Mains to tank isolated and tank left full of water
4-DCW feed from tank capped 1st floor

I see this every day from major contractors with all the credentials so why is the one man operation as bad if not worse in fact your likly to get a better standard of work imho from a small company because reputation is everything-credentials are not!

1canhelp so where did you do your apprenticship then
me company i was doing it went under and had fork out on one those corse to finish my quals off
i am still compentant and have spent many time sorting out the big boys mess such as waste pipe work what runs upward done by people who far more qualified than me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back