General Elections in general

L

longdogs

It's that time again folks. Just over five weeks of rhetoric, lies, promises that will be broken or forgotten; hard hats, hi-viz jackets, campaign buses, bacon sarnies, baby kissing, blanket journalism and general name calling.

So is it all worth it? Is there such a thing as a 'floating voter? or are they just preaching to the converted?

Has anyone ever watched a party political broadcast that has changed the way they voted?

Surely we all know who we will be voting for anyway so is there a need to show annoying five minute broadcasts just before EastEnders?

Sponsored Links
A lot is being said about this election being one of the most unpredictable in recent history. I just hope that the electorate do take this opportunity to 'make their mark'.

I get so angry when a third of those entitled to vote just don't bother. It was only a 65% turnout in 2010 election. Why is that? Some will say lethargy, but I just call it lazy!!

For those who think ....I dont care etc etc. they can still walk to their local polling station and make their mark by 'spoiling their paper'. But maybe that's just asking too much of them!

The Scottish referendum saw a 85% turnout and was watched closely by many in the UK, so hopefully it will inspire everyone to turn out on 7 May.

It'll be just the same as any other election. The voters with short memories will vote the way they've always done. The voters with longer memories will vote , the way they've always done. Afterwards, whoever's in charge of running the country, will propose that MP's should have a nice, well above inflation, busting wage rise. The whole house will vote "aye", (the only abstentions will be those found in the bar at voting time) Nothing much will change.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I never watch party political broadcasts and, should I ever have the misfortune to encounter a campaigning politician (except for our Nige, of course) I'd pointedly walk the other way.

None of them are to be trusted (except for our Nige, of course).

Sponsored Links
I get so angry when a third of those entitled to vote just don't bother. It was only a 65% turnout in 2010 election. Why is that? Some will say lethargy, but I just call it lazy!!
Ah bless! After all the **** that's been perpetrated on this country by elected governments in the last 30 or 40 years, all done without a manifesto backed mandate, and you still think your one vote every 4 or 5 years makes a blind bit of difference. :LOL:

Lazy indeed. Ever wondered why more than a third of people eligible can not be bothered to vote for a bunch of mediocre liars?

Many of those people will be energetic 20 or thirty year olds. Many will actually walk or jog past the polling station and may even stop and go inside for a p1$$ and still not vote.

Try and reason with your anger and then go get yourself educated. Apathy would be a better choice of words.

It's funny how they are given several weeks to spend a load of dosh to travel round and overwhelm all media outputs to prepare for what is basically an inspection of how well they claim they've done and how well they're going to do things in the future.

Schools are given less than 24 hours notice by ofsted for an inspection to take place the next day.

It's funny how they are given several weeks to spend a load of dosh to travel round and overwhelm all media outputs to prepare for what is basically an inspection of how well they claim they've done and how well they're going to do things in the future.

Schools are given less than 24 hours notice by ofsted for an inspection to take place the next day.

If you're doing a reasonable job, why do you need any notice at all?
Unless it is to pull out all the stops, catching up on all the stuff you should have been doing, but hadn't been.

If you're doing a reasonable job, why do you need any notice at all?
Unless it is to pull out all the stops, catching up on all the stuff you should have been doing, but hadn't been.
Precisely. Given that politics is reported every day, why do they need several weeks and large sums of money to campaign? They've had years to prove their worth and forge and explain their plan.

It would be far better to afford them much smaller notice, with the only problem being arrangement of suitable polling stations at short notice. Even this could be resolved with suitable online voting methods, with the added bonus of having instant results instead of the relentless overnight statistical what ifs and buts...

Lazy indeed. Ever wondered why more than a third of people eligible can not be bothered to vote for a bunch of mediocre liars?

Many of those people will be energetic 20 or thirty year olds. Many will actually walk or jog past the polling station and may even stop and go inside for a p1$$ and still not vote.

Try and reason with your anger and then go get yourself educated. Apathy would be a better choice of words.

I completely agree.

We have now had five years of Conservative government and, before that, ten years of Labour. Labour almost ruined the country and Cameron insists on not only giving away our hard-earned money to places like India (to help fund their space programme!) but also keeping us under the EU jackboot.

Whether you agree or not with these policies, I can well understand why many people don't bother to vote, as the one party is almost as bad as the other.

But now we have a choice. UKIP offers a different path which many people agree with. Granted, they are an unknown in government, but is it always the case of 'better the devil you know'?

If the people who won't vote at present because they are tired of broken promises and politicians' lies were to vote for UKIP there could be real change for the better in this country.

We shall have to wait and see, of course.

I find all the pre-election promises really cringe-worthy. If there are things that the present government need to change for the benefit of the country, why don't they just implement them anyway rather than trying to blackmail us into voting for them?

I find all the pre-election promises really cringe-worthy. If there are things that the present government need to change for the benefit of the country, why don't they just implement them anyway rather than trying to blackmail us into voting for them?

Me too. No point even listening to them. They all lie anyway and you can be sure that, whoever gets to run the country next time, they will fail to deliver what they promise.

A good reason to give a different party the opportunity, and I don't mean the Monster Raving Green Party!

A lot is being said about this election being one of the most unpredictable in recent history. I just hope that the electorate do take this opportunity to 'make their mark'.

For those who think ....I dont care etc etc. they can still walk to their local polling station and make their mark by 'spoiling their paper'. But maybe that's just asking too much of them!

The Scottish referendum saw a 85% turnout and was watched closely by many in the UK, so hopefully it will inspire everyone to turn out on 7 May.
Although I can sympathise with your frustration, Doug. Perhaps the majority of the responses suggests why apathy reigns.

As a Geek I believe online voting would be a catastrophe for democracy.

The ruling government of the time has the encryption keys and would be so easy to fiddle the results.

The old fashion paper method rules and even then I heard some disturbing news yesterday that my sister in law who is a rank labour supporter will be one of those people counting the ballot results in our ward !!

But I trust the old tried and tested method to deliver a more accurate result.

Postal votes should NOT be given to people who can attend polling booths because there are a certain section of society whose men folk order their women to vote how they feel they should vote. At a polling station those women can vote for who THEY believe is their best option.

Sponsored Links
Back