generating to much heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soldering has become much harder, normally doing 15mm and 22mm Yorkshire fittings around the house has gone fine. suddenly things have got a little harder, connecting 35mm straight connector to 35-28mm reducer to 28mm straight connector with 15mm T to 28mm 90 then another very close. The whole lot crammed together in about 250mm all with end feed fittings. Grown up soldering! My attempt was not a pretty sight. Things got very hot and nasty with burnt flux and the joints wouldn't run.. I changed the gas on my blow torch for map gas bloody hell that go hot! I have pulled it out and I'll have another crack at it tomorrow. I am now in post disaster trauma and have had to go into severe Boddington therapy. Are there any plumbers out there that can give me clue. I promise never to say anything bad about plumbers again. A frustrated chippy.

Sponsored Links
if your soldering 28mm or above, forget a rothengerger type torch if thats what your using, you will need a bigger flame on it for that size, solder wont run properly as you wont get the heat even around that size of fitting :LOL:

Pity you can't manage a heatmat yer bastid. :LOL: :LOL:

Couldn't resist that dan, don't hit me.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: That was supposed to be a totally flat rig with plenty of space in between for installation pipes. Pre-built it and took it to site (off drawings) and the builder said, without skipping a breath, "hope you don't mind, we've made the boiler cupboard 450mm narrower".

Git :LOL: had to adjust the thing in situ....

Builders eh :mad:

I hope you said..."I hope you don't mind, I'll be billing you an extra two hundred quid" :mrgreen:

Nah, he's one of the good un's... but I do get the odd ribbing over scorch marks now though ;).

Made a real effort on the last one.... But then the git added an extra room to the UFH and now I have to wire up another damn manifold to my S-Plan ++++.... Think I need another wiring centre ;).

Pays "normal" rates, so shouldn't complain too much.

Mounted on plywood !!!!! icon_eek.gif icon_lol.gif

Never had a problem with that, and that is with maker's blessings (not the man in the sky :D )

Exterior ply and screws give good fixings. Have done that by fixing 3?4" ply to wall with no nails and fixings.

Nice pipework Dan :)

Cheers Danny ;).

Mounted an SB30 on Ply today as it happens - albeit with 10mm on concrete render on it too :LOL:

Another Keston in the skip... how many more left now?

Soldering has become much harder, normally doing 15mm and 22mm Yorkshire fittings around the house has gone fine. . Are there any plumbers out there that can give me clue. I promise never to say anything bad about plumbers again. A frustrated chippy.
You definitely need a heat mat :p If it`s all in situ because you need to get the flame all around the fitting :idea: and you want butane not mapp gas - you want a lower heat and not concentrated in one spot , like you can get away with on smaller pipe/fittings . Also lead solder will flow better than lead free ( it`s a pain even on small fittings :evil: ) I find La Co flux is good too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back