Getting the best quotes...what information to provide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Embarking on a rear kitchen extension & loft conversion on a 3 bed semi, and just wondering how I can make sure I get the best (as in accurate) quotes from builders and making the job attractive to them. Things are very busy round here, and I want to make sure I can get a good builder onside.

When I get to the stage of getting quotes, I will have full building regs submission plans, plus architects notes and can spec the job in terms of what I need and what I'm looking for.

Have much of the following information is relevant, and should it be included?

- I'm planning to manage the trades myself, and have a little, but not a lot of experience in doing this. The reason is because I have the ability to get plumbing, electrics and roofing done pretty much for free
- my Dad runs a building maintenance company and can help me site manager and prepare a schedule of works etc. it's his guys I will be using to do plumbing/electrics etc.
- I'm quite keen to source materials myself as I will get my dad's discounts (particularly for things like kitchens, sanitary ware etc.) don't know much about ordering building supplies, but I'm sure I could work it out if they tell me what's needed...or I can leave the stuff I don't know about to them.
- we can move off site when things start getting really messy (as we have a toddler, so might be easier)

Am I going to be a nightmare client that a builder will want to avoid?? I'm sure I'm going to need a little hand-holding through the process, but I do make good tea, have a good supply of biscuits & cakes, and make a mean bacon butty.

Any tips on your ideal client and how I can make the process easier for everyone?

Sponsored Links
It smells a bit like a "I want to run the job as much as possible - interfere as much as possible - take away all the profitable parts of the job - but lean heavily on the experienced tradesmen once the shoite hits the fan" kind of job to me.

It seems like the sort of job whereby you will get trades in rather than employ a builder. The risk being that you will carry the can for everything but save yourself thousands in the process. You can't have it both ways.

What you need is a ground worker, a brickie, a window man, a roofer, a roof tiler etc, etc. I personally would run a mile. I have all my own guys and all my own suppliers and things run smoothly. The last thing I would want is a wannabe builder type customer making life difficult.

Fragmenting the job into non-profitable sections will put off a lot of builders, but may appeal to a day rate brickie for instance.

Ah ok, fair point. I hadn't really thought about it like that. But yes, I suppose trying to save myself money means taking profit from a builder.

Ok. Need to rethink a bit.

Open to suggestions!

You need to make the job appealing and not some profitless, builder/client nightmare.

As I said, you either run the job (and take all the knocks) i.e. employ trades as and when you need them or you employ a builder or building firm.

The former would mean that (for example) when the groundworker hits a drain or a cable or a water main and shrugs his shoulders, you will be the one running around like a headless chicken. Similarly, when the brickie has built in a standard duty lintel instead of a HD fella and shrugs his shoulders, you will be the one taking the brickwork down etc, etc.

A lot of builders may take on a 'shell' build whereby you just get the job up to wall plate etc but that does not work with a lofty.

Sponsored Links
So what's in it for a good builder ???

1. You are already using your Dads Contacts for labour and materials.

So a good builder who has built up a good set of lads has to now use your lads and trust that they know what they are doing.

2. You want to run the show. but have no real experience But your Dad does.

So the good builder now has two or more bosses to answer to on a day to day basis

3. A nightmare Client

LOL yes I agree

Got to agree with noseall 100%

A good builder has already spent time and money in keeping a good set of lads .They all know how it works and how to leave things for the next trade

I personally would run a mile from you unless you were prepared to pay to learn . In which case you would have been cheaper to have employed the good builder from the get-go

Ok, without getting totally defensive, I do have *some* experience. I have overseen works on 3 blocks of flats (52 units), inc drawing up schedules of works & overseeing formal tender processes. But, that was obviously a much bigger project and went out to an all-in-one outfit.

I'm definitely being pushed by my dad to do things a certain way, but ultimately, this is my house and I want a good builder that I can get on with. I have a decent budget and I'm willing to pay money where I need to.

So, is there a compromise here? I'm asking you guys for a reason, in the hope that I can get this right before I go out and send all the local builders running for the hills!

That's a bit different to your opening post though.

- I'm planning to manage the trades myself, and have a little, but not a lot of experience in doing this. The reason is because I have the ability to get plumbing, electrics and roofing done pretty much for free
- my Dad runs a building maintenance company and can help me site manager and prepare a schedule of works etc. it's his guys I will be using to do plumbing/electrics etc.
- I'm quite keen to source materials myself as I will get my dad's discounts (particularly for things like kitchens, sanitary ware etc.) don't know much about ordering building supplies, but I'm sure I could work it out if they tell me what's needed...or I can leave the stuff I don't know about to them.

And that's the Major stumbling block for you.

Sorry but you either need to get the good builder in from the beginning or employ the trades directly yourself

A Good builder will have a team of workmen that he can call on . He knows their ways of working and the order that they like to do jobs in.
At the end of each day he will know exactly what progress has been made by all his tradesmen so he can arrange for the next lot and materials to appear at the same time

He also has accounts with several suppliers to source materials etc. And yes he does make a profit on this.

Now you are asking a builder to use guys that he has in all probability never used before . He has no idea of their workmanship or how long they will take to complete.
He will now have to play second fiddle to you.

Simple scenario

An electrician tells you that he will have to come back to finish running a couple of additional sockets in. But it wont be for a couple or 3 days
You forget and don't tell the builder who has arranged for the room to be plastered the following morning.

Who pays then for the sparky to cut the plaster out and run his cables and for the plasterer to repair the damage that could have been avoided
and yes this kind of thing does happen LOL

I really do think you will struggle to find a good builder to take you up on your offer.

You would be much better off getting in separate trades yourself. This way you can run the whole shebang as you see fit. As well as around the availability of your dads workforce

Ok thanks. I appreciate you both taking the time to post. Obviously in that scenario, where I was at fault, I'm liable. But that's a pretty careless error to make!

I think I'll end up having to employ individual trades and shoulder the responsibilities that come with it. It would seem silly for me to not use the resources I have and I can see why the project would be unappealing to a main contractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back