Getting white paint marks off black plastic drainpipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been painting our exterior walls white and not worrying too much about getting the paint on the black plastic downpipes because a) there were already marks there from previous painting and b) i though it would be relatively straightforward to get the paint off. But looking at the net, it's not. I've seen sanding suggested, but surely this will damage the plastic? I've seen acetone suggested, then other people saying this will go through the plastic. I've also seen new pipes suggested, which I appreciate is a relatively cheap option. But is there anything that will reliably take the white paint off the pipes without damaging them? Failing that, what black paint could I use to cover the white splashes? The white painted walls (and thus the marks on the pipes) only go up about 12 feet, so painting the pipes, theoretically, wouldn't be too logistically tricky.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Removing masonry paint from plastic is a swine to do, it might be worth trying a bottle of nail varnish remover, you can get them in the pound shops, it contains acetone, I don't believe it would go through the plastic. If you're going to paint them black then use a thixotropic gloss, Johnstones do one that's very good. Never undercoat plastic, especially on exteriors, it's too brittle, just gloss, and the thixotropic gloss has better covering ability than standard gloss.

How about a tin of black paint ?
its at the back of the pipe so no one is going to scrutinize it.

Sponsored Links
I realise I'm late, but I vote for painting over it, too. I'd even be tempted to cheat even more and use a paint marker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back