Ghosts are a figment of the imagination.

• Thread starter DeletedUser
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
This is something I have always been interested in. There are so many things that can lead people to believe they have witnessed a supernatural being or event: sounds, temperature changes, effects of light, vibrations, and so on. This article would appear to confirm my opinion that there are always scientific or natural explanations for such things, although it seems they are often very difficult to identify.

I'm no expert, and I'm not a member of one of those societies which go around exploring reputedly haunted buildings or places, but I find the concept interesting and have heard recounts from several people of their strange and sometimes frightening experiences.

I have, however, never experienced any supernatural phenomena, although I yearn to do so and, until I do, I'll continue to believe that there is no such thing as the supernatural, be it God or ghosts.

About 25 yrs ago I was having a drink at my local club (overtime and it was around 12.30 am) and the landlord mentioned all the ghostly experiences he had had whilst he had the tenure.

I of course scoffed at him and he offered to take me upstairs to the snooker room so i could witness it for myself.

We both went up and he unlocked the snooker room door and we went in. It was complete darkness but all the balls on the 2 snooker tables were moving by themselves going back and forth. :eek:

I went a bit closer, and one of the balls jumped off the table and landed at my feet. Also, the curtains and one door were both swishing and opening and closing.

I had to eat my words and to this day I still remember the whole experience.

For the sceptics........... can anyone explain how you can get snooker balls to move up and down the table as they are not magnetic. :confused:

Sponsored Links
For the sceptics........... can anyone explain how you can get snooker balls to move up and down the table as they are not magnetic. :confused:

Normal snooker balls aren't, no.

As I'm not aware of any seriously documented 'supernatural' event ever occurring, I will never believe in such things. If I saw an apparition of my grandmother walking through the house, I'd assume I had a brain tumour, or hypoxia.

Not that I will call people stupid if they choose to believe in ghosts, organised religion, angels, or faeries - it's their call. I just find it all very illogical and bizarre.

get your mate to hide in the darkness in black and push the balls around with a snooker cue. the spectator should be scared to approach so u don't need to worry. if he moves closer, distract him by taking a ball out of a pocket and throw it on the floor before making your escape.

How come we only accept evidence if you can touch it, feel it, see it etc?
We are a tiny speck in an insignificant solar system in one of countless millions of galaxies.
Why do we have to be so tied down by our own, smug, inward-looking notions of reality, as though we know all the answers?

How come we only accept evidence if you can touch it, feel it, see it etc?
We are a tiny speck in an insignificant solar system in one of countless millions of galaxies.
Why do we have to be so tied down by our own, smug, inward-looking notions of reality, as though we know all the answers?

I'm sure the majority don't. I have an open mind, but that doesn't mean I'll believe in something for no good reason. The pixies juggling under the bed are just as real as ghosts, to me.

Yes, best to keep an open mind.

Because I've never seen one, I don't thereby believe that ghosts don't exist.

Maybe only a few people (psychics?) can actually experience them. Most people might class such people as deluded cranks, but how do we know they are deluded?

because they are unable to do more than stage magicians can do using cold reading techniques.

all their so called communication with the dead is about common day to day stuff that the majority of an audience can identify with..lost ring, umbrella by the door, a dark jacket or maybe blue or light blue etc etc. if I could talk to the dead I'd have way more interesting questions, namely, what's it like being dead! are you in human form walking the earth or in the clouds somewhere , do you experience needs, can you see events in the living world etc etc.

moreover if I really could talk to the dead I'm sure I would find a way of proving it pretty quickly, rather than just saying "your granny says good luck in your new house love"

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I imagine it's just a case of probability; maybe I can fly, but choose only to do so when unseen. The world works better proving what can be realistically proven, rather than disproving what realistically cannot.

If belief in supernatural phenomena gives folk some sort of comfort against the frightening finality of death - rock on. People who capitalise on such individuals, should in my opinion be buried in a field.

Oh well, that report has put paid to all the ghostly stories for good. Although,....... it does say 'PROBABLY' an illusion

My previous house was really old, built around 1500.
My daughter was very scared one day because she saw a figure of a girl. She also slept badly and said she could feel breath on her neck. She slept badly for a year or so.
My mother in law, who reckoned she was psychic, was not at all keen on coming round and would not go into the dining room because she said someone was sitting in it.
My wife has one of her wacky friends round and explained this to her. Friend said she would fix that, waved a crystal around and said no more ghosts. Wife said she would tell her mum that the ghost had gone, friend said no, there were 4, 2 adults and 2 children but not a family.
Wife told her mum the ghost had gone. Her mum said great, but there were 4, 2 adults and 2 children but not related.
Nobody had ever said anything about 4 ghosts before this happened.
Some years later some people came round who had lived in the house when they were children, about 40 years previously.
We were showing them round, after a while one said. How are the ghosts? We said what ghosts? They said there were 4, 2 adults and 2 children. One said every night a ghost sat on the end of their bed as they could feel the mattress move down. Another said she could feel hot breath on her neck every night. She slept in the same room as my daughter.

This is all 100% genuine. I don't really believe in ghosts and never felt a presence but it is a such a spooky story I'm not sure now. All of these stories were quite independent and none of the people were primed with any information. I can't think of any way to explain it.

Anyone that knows me personally will say that I speak as I find (probably too blunt sometimes) and I never BS anyone.

The story I have told is TRUE and I can remember it as if it were yesterday.

I know what I saw that night and I really can't explain how it was done if it was a trick.

There is something to this ghost phenonenom and I speak from personal experience.

However, these psychics are a lot of mumbo jumbo who prey on vulnerable people for profit! :(

I believe you. I like to think that I'm a straightforward sort of bloke, and that like yourself I don't BS people.
I've seen several strange unexplainable things myself over the years, and have known people who I believed, who had seen similar things. What these things are is another matter. Are they truly supernatural, or phenomena which could be explained if we had the understanding? I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Back