Gift Cards - WARNING!

i personally am not perfect
it should be illegal to put restrictions on gift vouchers or cards
you pay by currency that has a fully unrestricted value and never goes out off date
it cannot be a fair trading contract that not only restricts where you spend it reducing your ability "shop around " but also say tough poo you are out off time
I think the problem is that they are regarded as a liability so far as the company is concerned, and they don't want it going on forever.
they have the money so they loose nothing
if you take say 5 years to use it they have 5 years worth off interest on the money and it buys 10-15% less

people should buy premium bonds at least you have a chance to bettering your situation

Sponsored Links
You should always use any Gift Vouchers as soon as practical, what if a company folded up.

BTW, I have lots of old copper 1p pieces, they are now worth a lot more.
Also discovered the British 5p coin used to work very well in German dispensing and gaming machines as equal to 1dm, used talke lots of 5p coins when visiting germany years ago, before they opted for Euro.

they used to work in cigarette machines as well

Perhaps if I had written a letter I might have got them reinstated.

Good news!

WHS have sent me new vouchers to the value of £60.00...

If you are in a similar situation, do what I did and write asking the company to reinstate the value they have taken away.

The response will probably be like mine:

Dear A Customer

Many thanks for your email.

I am sorry that we have disappointed you, however, our Gift Cards do expire after 24 months and we do try to make sure that this is clear in our Terms and Conditions. These can be found on the back of the card and also on the presentation wallet. We also provide a gift receipt to let the recipient know when the card expires.

Unfortunately I am unable to help you further on this occasion. If I can be of help with any other matter though, please do let me know.

Kind regards

A Customer Services Minion.

Respond like this:

Dear A Customer Services Minion

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to refer you to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

These regulations aim to prevent an imbalance in the relationship between the retailer and the consumer.

An expiry date on a voucher creates an imbalance in this relationship and causes significant detriment to the shopper: why is there an expiry date anyway?

Further, Peter McCarthy, legal officer at Which? says the contract with the consumer for such a sale would be undermined if the retailer failed to spell out the expiry rules at the point of sale, which is the case here.

He goes on to say that a retailer must tell the customer conditions apply to the vouchers and be prepared to answer questions about them. “It is not good enough to simply include terms and conditions in the small print with the voucher”.

I ask you to look again at your decision.

Signed

A Customer.

The bit in red is the crucial bit. All companies will say, "Well, in the terms and conditions on the gift card and on the receipt there is a warning stating the voucher will expire..."

That may well do the trick. Worked for me, anyway.

Sponsored Links
yes your right the enticement to buy must include all terms and conditions
once bought they cannot form part off the contract as they where after the fact

Back