Glass / Tile Roof Valley - Does my Builder have a point ?

It would make more sense for the jut out or the change in elevation to be entirely in tiles, valley and all, then stopping at a gable. The glazed area could then be successfully connected to the gable abutment.

That's what their builder suggested, and I agree it would be a far better job.
The so called gable part need not be say a conventional brick affair rather it be constructed as a vaulted open design so that the connection is done as glass to timber and the whole open effect maximised.

Sponsored Links
So two votes on the side of the builder.

When you say better job, do you think it would look better, or do you mean it will be more sound/better sealed ?

In my opinion, it will look better, far easier to guarantee a water tight seal between the different materials.

With the glass fixed directly into the valley via glazing bars the lead will be pierced with the fixings.

Sponsored Links
When you say better job, do you think it would look better, or do you mean it will be more sound/better sealed ?

I have tried to imagine how the whole thing would be constructed and how it would actually work, what with the valley boards, tiles, valley material (i.e. lead, glass fibre etc) on one side of the valley and then suddenly glass.

And how exactly is a one sided valley built, i.e. the timber work etc?

Aesthetically speaking - no contest.

They have sold this idea to the customer with little forethought whatsoever. Some architects should be put up against a tree and shot.

think a 1 sided Valley is perfectly possible, but this is a One Sided Hip (valley hip ? ), which is how the builder's convinced me to go with his tiled plan.

i fabricate conny roofs and wouldnt like to get involved with the glass/tiled valley. id rather carry the roof on from the end of the valleys to steer away from remedials. however anything is possible if you find the right person/ company

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back