Glazing to floor area ratio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am i right in saying there is a minimum glazing to floor area ratio (10%)??? Tried searching but can't find any info. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
to comply with building regs you need to provide a min 1/20th of the floor area within the opening light of the window. say for a 13.5m2 room you need 0.68m2 of the window to open at least 30 degrees

The 1/20 figure is just a guide.

You can do a SAP calculation to [hopefully] prove thermal efficiency of the whole building with larger areas of openings

correct, but you need a min of 1/20th. plus you have to pay someone to do your SAP calc and lodge it

Sponsored Links
1/20th is a purge ventilation requirement not glazing, think the OP needs to provide more info on what he wants to achieve, as far as I know there is no requirement for a window in a room under building regs but then the housing act when renting out rooms etc does :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

1/20th is a purge ventilation requirement not glazing, think the OP needs to provide more info on what he wants to achieve, as far as I know there is no requirement for a window in a room under building regs but then the housing act when renting out rooms etc does :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

I think that's right. The regs omits to actually say a glazed window is a requirement.

But you do need openable ventilation of minimum 1/20th floor area to comply with ventilation requirements and for all practical purposes I think that really means a window. I suppose you could install an unglazed openable shutter but not sure who would want to do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back