Glow-worm+Climapro 2 pump running when not calling for heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently bought Glow-Worm Ultracom 2 30 CXI as well as Climapro2 control room thermostat. The reason for my post is that I am not entirely sure the way it supposed to work when it comes to central heating.

Currently the temperature is set to 19 C between 8am and 10pm every day. So the boiler comes on in the morning gets the house (2 bed mid terrace) to the temperature set point and instead of switching itself off ??? stays on ALL day till 10pm when it’s programmed to 15C for the night.

From what I have noticed the pump is on all the time(between 8am-10pm) and the burner fires up from time to time. My confusion comes from the fact that my last boiler and its basic thermostat simply switched itself off(including the pump) after reaching the set temperature.

Is that the way Climapro2 control is supposed to control the central heating? Get the desired temperature and maintain it being ON all the time?

I do understand that when it’s maintaining the temperature it modulates the burner to keep returning temperature low so it stays in condensing mode most of the time. But the burner isn't on all the time it comes on maybe every 10-15min depending on the outside temperature so it’s not calling for heat all the time it’s just maintaining it but the look of it .
Wouldn't that cause excessive wear and tear especially to the pump if it works continuously for 14 hours a day?

The interesting thing is that it switches itself off when it gets 0.5C higher than the set point. The problem is that since it starts modulating when it gets close to the set point it never overshoots therefore it's always on(the pomp at least).

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
More than likley modulating room control is turned on, in which case it sounds like normal operation.

Do you have an outside weather sensor connected aswell?

If room modulation is on then the closer it gets to set point the lower it runs the radiators essentially never letting it get hot enough to overshoot.

You ask if running the pump 14 hours a day will wear it out? Yes. More than not running it for 14 hours a day, but you have your heating set on for that whole time? do you really need it on all day?

An on/off stat system will as you say, simply constantly keep starting and stopping th eburner/pump/fan etc so not really saving wear and tear using the on/off way.

If its about as warm as you set it to. and not making noise, its working.

Thanks for your input ScottishGasMan

I don't have any weather compensation/outside sensor installed.

I did an experiment and switched off the modulation option in the settings of climapro2. The only difference I've noticed is that instead of throttling down or up like it used to do, now it comes on almost on full power and shuts off completely after few minutes. In the meantime pump stays on like before. So in other words it has stop modulating:)

When the temp is 0.5 higher than set-point if switches off completely so no change here either.

Well, there is always someone in the house so I would prefer to have it at constant temperature during the day but it's not like it's a must. I will set up three or four periods of time during the day with 19C set-point and let's say 16C in between them and see how it goes. Whether it's more or less efficient to run I don't know at this point but we will see:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back