Glow Worm Flexicom HX pops on ignition - common fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brand new, it started popping on ignition within a week of installation. Engineer came and ripped out the ignition system and replaced the lot.

I think the jargon he used was "hard ignition" or something.

Now, two months later it's started again. We will get it fixed again under warranty but has anybody heard about any issues with this boiler? I don't want to be battling with this every two months.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
whats the serial number first 6 digits? 21**** (look on bottom of boiler)

the early ones had this problem, but providing you have a new model it should be ok. could be electrode, gas mixture, dodgy meter governor. something along those lines.

don't worry then. should be fine. just a tad unlucky i'd say.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Still, I shall stay around for the engineer and will have a few questions for him.

yeah stay at home and ask the engineer about any queries you may have im sure he will be happy to assist you

I take it that was sarcasm? The first one who came round couldn't have been ruder; he refused to speak to me while he was ripping out all the ignition sytem then replacing it, like it was some kind of highly-skilled surgery requiring masses of concentration. When I asked him if he and his colleagues ever made any attempt to diagnose a problem he snapped back that you can't diagnose modern boilers; you just fit new parts.

Just like my car then.

When I asked him if he and his colleagues ever made any attempt to diagnose a problem he snapped back that you can't diagnose modern boilers; you just fit new parts.

Just like my car then.

What he really meant was that HE cannot diagnose faults!

I take it that was sarcasm? The first one who came round couldn't have been ruder; he refused to speak to me while he was ripping out all the ignition sytem then replacing it, like it was some kind of highly-skilled surgery requiring masses of concentration. When I asked him if he and his colleagues ever made any attempt to diagnose a problem he snapped back that you can't diagnose modern boilers; you just fit new parts.

Just like my car then.

It can be quite annoying to have some "know it all" over your shoulder firing 1001 questions at you while you are trying to work and complete the job in a reasonable time. An average day will consist of 9 jobs so any hold up is unwelcome. Did you offer the engineer a cup of tea? That can be a big help.

....and yes I did offer the bloke a drink, but his job was far too important to allow him to accept.

I never accept an alcoholic drink unless its the last job, they have already paid and I like the client!

I am sure its unprofessional to go to fix a boiler smelling of drink, quite apart from the danger of working on live equipment.

Tony

The first one who came round couldn't have been ruder; he refused to speak to me while he was ripping out all the ignition sytem then replacing it, like it was some kind of highly-skilled surgery requiring masses of concentration. When I asked him if he and his colleagues ever made any attempt to diagnose a problem he snapped back that you can't diagnose modern boilers; you just fit new parts.

Typical of group service engineers it seems. I thought I was just unlucky enough to have the crap, rude numpties in my area, but it seems not.

Group service policy these days is to NOT train the engineers in fault finding, but just to replace every bit until the boiler works. The most important thing to them is to not get a call back, rather than the skill to diagnose and repair first time at a cost effective rate.

Hence once again why I will not fit boilers that group service maintain.

OP, bad luck :rolleyes:

whats the serial number first 6 digits? 21**** (look on bottom of boiler)

the early ones had this problem, but providing you have a new model it should be ok. could be electrode, gas mixture, dodgy meter governor. something along those lines.

I'm bumping up this old thread because we're having the same trouble with our 30HX. (thread here. As it's about to get its third electrode in 2 years I'm wondering what exactly is known about the "early ones" that mickg mentions.

The SN is 21083700... a little bit earlier than RigidRaider's

can't remember now when they changed the heat exchanger design. I used to know. But its easy to tell from the shape of it. From a side profile of the heat exchanger the old one is flat down the front and the new design concaves slightly like a shapely woman. If its the earlier one probably you need a new heat exchanger to cure the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back