Glow Worm Space Saver 30 Mk II - Parts & Price Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Gas pipes are being renewed in my area hence temporary disconnection of supply - I've never had a problem with my Boiler - I hold my hands up & admit it hasn't been serviced in 6 years so no point arguing there - I knew the pilot would need reigniting but now it won't - I don't believe the lads doing the pipes caused the fault when they tried to reignite the boiler, rather the disconnection has brought to light a fault.

Here's my dilemma - A Gas Safe engineer has visited - He initially said a new Piezo Igniter was needed but when he lit the pilot with a blow lamp it wouldn't stay on - The button on the Gas Valve looks dodgy as well (it sticks & is not smooth to press/depress) - He advised the Bolier should stay off until he could get the parts, etc

He has quoted for the parts (Piezo Igniter & Gas Valve) fitted - £250.00 to £300.00 but said this may reduce once he gets a price for the parts

Is the above excessive for the Wirral area or reasonable - Obviously this is something that needs to be done legally & by a registered Gas Engineer

Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is quite old and with the permanent pilot not very efficient in gas usage.

It be better to take the opportunity to get a new modern efficient boiler.

It may only be the ignitor and thermocouple which need replacement. That would only be about £100.

The boiler is quite old and you will have to see about the availability and price of parts now.

Tony

Has it got a brown / blue knob on the gas valve?, these maclaren valves have been obsolete for quite a few years now.

Has it got a brown / blue knob on the gas valve?, these maclaren valves have been obsolete for quite a few years now.

Light Brown - not looking good is it.......

As 'Agile' stated - I'm debating what to spend now - sometime next year I will be able to afford to renew everything (or move house) - Is £250.00 a reasonable & wothwhile expenditure if it gets me 12-18 months

Sponsored Links
If you push this with the transporter carrying out the outside pipe replacement they will pay to get it sorted , just tell them that it was working before they disconnected the supply and you want it working again and they will sort it for you ,as a company we do this on a regular basis for transporters.

Thanks for all the advice - General advice here & elsewhere tends to be to get engineer to try ignition & thermo coupling 1st rather than do that AND renew gas valve which is probably a Mclaren & around £100-150 for the part - In the long run I may pay a bit extra for 2 jobs but better than forking out £250.00 straight up - Have also complained to National Grid but don't think it will be productive - I also complained about how long my gas has been off at the mains - this I hope to get some sort of response

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back