Glow worm space saver 38 burning smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a rental home which has a (very old) glow worm space saver 38 installed in a cupboard in the kitchen, which feeds to a tank in the living area.

The pilot light went out recently, and wouldn't re-light (no ignition or anything), and the real estate sent a plumber, who pulled everything apart, and after fiddling with the ignition for a bit, managed to get it lit again (nothing was officially broken, but said the thermacouple could be going, so to get him round again if it stops a second time and won't light).

So far (24 hours later) the pilot light flame is still fine, but this evening, the boiler suddenly started making a smell like burning plastic. I immediately turned it off, but switched it back on after about half an hour just to see if I was imagining it, and it happened again almost immediately. The boiler also seems to have been louder since the plumber came, and even louder still when it made the burning smell (making a rumbling sound).

Now, my real estate agent and landlord are unfortunately pretty cranky about any maintenance I request, but as it's not my property, I'm not willing to try any boiler maintenance myself, so I'm wondering if this is the sort of thing I should just report asap and not use the boiler at all, or (so I am not wasting the plumber's time and annoying the owners unnecessarily) try turning it on again and keep an eye on it, in case it's just a passing thing?

Obviously, I don't want to damage the boiler, and I don't really know what the risk might be if it is making a burning plastic smell and I keep turning it back on. I have only resided in the UK for a couple of years, and come from a country where there are no boilers, thus the (potentially daft) questions. I'm also vaguely concerned that if the electrics or any plastic bits under the cover are getting hot, there may be a fire, which would be a big problem as it is installed in a fairly small (flammable) cupboard.

Hope someone can help - and apologies for lack of knowledge on my part. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do not turn it back on again until it has been checked out, as you are in a rented property you should have been given a copy of the most recent and current Landlords gas safety record, have you been given a copy of this ?

If hes pulled it all apart, sounds like a gasket/seal has been damaged and the appliance is no longer sealed.
Switch off and report problem to landlord.

Thanks both of you for the quick reply.

Ian - I can't see a safety cert. in my paperwork, so I'll take this up with the real estate when I call about the boiler, thanks for the heads up.

Is there any particular problem that could present as a faulty ignition followed by a burning smell (just so I have something to look out for if I'm told it's fine second time around)?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Gas and gas appliances in the UK are subject to strict regulations. Unless qualified to work with gas you should not be attempting to carry out any work on a boiler or other gas appliance, (and would be breaking the law if you did!), other than lighting a pilot flame.

Secondly, as mentioned by Ian, all rented accommodation must have a 'Landlords Gas Safety record'. This requires the Landlord to have the entire gas system and appliances checked and tested by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer once a year, a report written and a copy given to the tenant. The Landlord is committing an offence and can be prosecuted if he does not abide by these rules.

These rules are there for your safety to prevent any more casualties to tenants caused by landlord's failures to maintain gas appliances in their properties!

No boiler that is working correctly should make a burning smell, (or any smell really), do not use until it has been checked and certified safe to use. If you dont get any help from the landlord or letting agent, come back here for further advice. Yours (and any other tenants) lives could depend on it! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back