Glow Worm Swiftflow boiler making very loud noise when switched on...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Over the past few days i've started having problems with our very old Glow Worm Swiftflow boiler. When the heating is turned on or we're running the hot water it makes a very loud, very obnoxious humming/rattling/grinding noise. Almost exactly like in this video:
(please note, thats not my video, it just happens to be pretty much the exact same noise.)

It's constant, from the moment we flick the heating on until we turn it off again. The heat and hot water does work however.

The pilot light is staying lit all throughout.

Anyone got any ideas? I joined Scottish power boiler care hoping they'd come and have a look but forgot about the exclusion period. So we either need to live with it until the 27th if it's not too serious, or get someone in to look at it ASAP if it is serious.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
On a Swiftflow it could be fan, gas valve or pcb. all of which require professional attention. More than that, it's not possible to be more precise without being in front of boiler. I would call it serious and get it looked at as soon as you can.

Sounds like you have signed up to a boiler cover program with your fault.

With the cost of any of the parts which will be required then I suspect you will wait until the 27th but if it fails before then will call a local independent engineer.

I do have to say those boilers are very reliable but only if they are given a full service every year of their life. Without that they are not so reliable! But they are now at the age when replacement of the boiler should be considered the normal solution when any significant fault occurs.

Tony

Cheers folks, reckon with it coming up to Christmas I'll play on the safe side and get it looked at sooner rather than later.

Sponsored Links
OK, I would wait but then I can manage if I have a day or two without heating.

Don't know why you feel the need to ask the same question on different forums though.

Its the same experts that respond to most of the different forums?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back