Glow worm Ultracom 30sxi.......no heat to radiators!!!

Sponsored Links
Ive checked all 9 rads and only 1 in the bedroom has a single fin. As far as I can see none of the others have any fins......

Bedroom 2.......which is at the front of the house on the ground floor.........

Sponsored Links
The total output of your rads is about 9 kW!!

But the output of your boiler can vary between 5 and 28 kW.

Who said you needed a 28 kW boiler??

What we don't know is if 9 kW is sufficient to heat your house. You can find out by using the Baxi Boiler size calculator. Rads need to match the boiler so, if the calculator says you need a 15 kW boiler, you need 15 kW of rads. You could put in more kW of rads, but not less.

We only purchased the house about a month ago, I believe the boiler was installed in late 2010.

Ive just had a quick look at the link you gave and its come out at 13.6KW. Are you saying that if we were to add more rads or upgrade the existing ones then that will help? We are having some work done downstairs which includes adding a radiator in the kitchen and a towel rail in the downstairs bathroom......will this help?

If the boiler is rapidly cycling while the water temperature on the return is still relatively cool, as are most of the radiators, there is just not enough water circulating through the boiler.

Can you open the motorised valve manually to at least try and eliminate that being faulty? And if the pump is a three speed unit maybe try switching it to max.

Ive just had a quick look at the link you gave and its come out at 13.6KW. Are you saying that if we were to add more rads or upgrade the existing ones then that will help? We are having some work done downstairs which includes adding a radiator in the kitchen and a towel rail in the downstairs bathroom......will this help?
How old, approximately is the house? Probably quite old from the type of rads installed.

The additional rad and towel rail will, obviously, increase the heat provided to the house. But it will not compensate for the discrepancy between boiler output and rad output. I suggest you adjust the output of the boiler to, say 15kW, using parameter d.0 (pages 49 & 50 in Manual). Then monitor what happens.

The house was built in approx 1970.

Is adjusting the output to the boiler something I am able to do or should I get somebody in to do this?

The house was built in approx 1970.
When "The Gas Board" was a monopoly, gas was cheap and insulation and energy efficiency were unknown.

Is adjusting the output to the boiler something I am able to do or should I get somebody in to do this?
Yes. It's just a case of pressing a few buttons on the boiler, as explained on pages 49 and 50 in the Installation Manual.

Ok, ive adjusted the output of the boiler to 15KW........hopefully, we will see some improvement in the CH.....

Many thanks for all your help

Update........

Unfortunately it doesnt seemed to have made much difference. We are still having the same problem as before in that the majority of radiators take a good few hours to heat up and even then they dont fully heat up and some hardly at all. We had the room thermostat to 20c last night, however the CH never reached that temp so stayed on for the whole evening.

The last plumber who came out said that he thought changing the valve may sort the problem of the radiators taking so long to heat up......does this sound like a possibility?

also noticed that the heating appears to work better when the hot water is not on at the same time......any ideas???

Is the boiler temperature still going up to 75 then dropping; and so the cycle continues?

If the heating works better when the HW is off, it suggests that the system has not been properly balanced.

Do you have thermostatic valves (see pic) on the radiators?

View media item 84726

When the heating is switched on from fairly cold, how long does it take the boiler to reach the temperature at which it trips OFF ( 75C ? ) and how hot does the return pipe feel when this happens?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back