Gloworm 30cxi Short Cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help. This boiler is really starting to annoy me now thankfully I have insurance on it but the engineers who come out have sometimes been clueless.

Over the last few years it's had main Pcb replaced, new heat exchanger, fan unit and various other things. The last repair was a month ago and was the main pcb that had blown. Now we have started to use the heating because it's got colder I've noticed the radiators take ages to get hot and then when they do they go cool for a while and the burner doesn't come back in for a while.

When it does kick back in the display shows the flow temperature going up very quickly (it's set at about 50c sometimes lower) and then the flow temp can hover at like 51c then you'll see it drop to 48c then back upto 52c and will jump up and down like that and then the burner cycles off.

It never used to do this the boiler burner could be on for about half an hour sometimes longer just ticking away modulated down low. All the radiators are fully on in the house so there should be plenty of flow. I've tried turning the flow temp up but it does the same pretty much.

When the burner is off the flow temp quickly starts dropping and then the fluttering of temp on the display occurs it will flicker between 42-38c then backup 40 then may go back down to 38 before going back upto 41c.

I'm pretty sure there is no blockage it was all drained down the other year to replace the trv's in the house and inhibitor fitted. The heat exchanger was replaced after this though as it was blocked about a year ago.

What could possibly wrong with it? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking the same - when it used to work ok sometimes it did cycle quickly because we run the flow temp quite low anyway as low as 45c sometimes but the house was always toasty can't get the rads more than Luke warm at present. The temp on the display I am assuming is the boiler flow temp? The return pipe is luke warm whereas the flow pipe is hot.

What could possibly wrong with it? Thank you.

It's a bag of sh!te! Are you on plastic pipe to radiators perhaps? You say hex was changed because it was blocked, what with? Most likely a diverter fault and it's going round the internal bypass.

Sponsored Links
No - all copper piping.

It was blocked with crud apparently - hence they drained the system down. I agree though it's a pile of steaming $hite!

Sick of the damn thing. Pretty sure the flow NTC temp sensor is part of flow switch and that was replaced.

It's now doing this thing where the fan surges - like a car revving when I turn the power off with a f12 fault code. It really doesn't seem well at all. Turning on the hot water seems to clear it but it does this for about 5 minutes before sorting itself.

During this time the pressure digits are going up and down like a yo yo.

Have had to turn the heating side of it off now as was woken in the night to it revving its fan again but the heating side of it wasn't doing anything. Turned the heating on and the heating started up then it cycled off and started reving its fan with the pressure digits going up and down then it stops about 2 mins later and the heating kicks back in. Even then you can hear the fan pulsing inside rather than being steady.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back