glowworm 18hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had BG fit a condensing boiler, and new cylinder, pipes and radiators,
I Know I could have got it done a lot cheaper etc, but mrs nark wanted peace of mind, ie BG ain't goin to runaway if any probs (not like the guys who did the facia and gutter..thats another story)
BG sub contracted it out to a guy who lived 30 miles away,and when he had finished, I had a look in the loft, and I could see copper pipes, and a small filler tank, which had hot water in it. I got the bg inspector in , he had a look, and got the contactor back to insulate all the copper. and alter some piping. I was in the loft the other day, and noticed the expansion pipe to the small tank appears to have been removed, and blanked off,
Is This possible, or does it need a vent? system has been running ok for about 18 months , so it does work ok, just curios
thanks in advance
narkeybee.

Sponsored Links
I had to work in a property only the other day where BG had installed the system. In that situation they had not supplied a 22mm vent pipe to pass over the feed and expansion tank. I informed the customer and they rang BG they said that it wasn't necessary as you have a cold feed which takes up the expansion. Yes it does! But the system still requires a vent. To check if it is necerssary look in the manufacturers installation and servicing manual which they should have left with you. If that states that the system requires a vent then it should definitely have one!

Why?, it has a vent which is combined with the feed as long as it meets BS5449 (ie 22mm min.) it is perfectly acceptable unless specifically not allowed by mi's.

Sponsored Links
I have had a look in the handbook left with the boiler, It says that in a "vented " system..., and shows a diagram where a pipe loops over the f/e tank at a min height of 450 mm. Is My system a vented system, cos it ain't got a vent, does that make it an unvented system..
When it was installed it had pump over into the f/e tank, which made it hot.then the pipework was altered to how it is now.
it works fine,...... just confused ...and curios...
narky :?: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back